Nineteen: Second Life: Screaming Out With Blood On Our Hands

Start from the beginning

The bubble floats higher and safer away from the flames, Jiang Cheng, “WEI WUXIAN!!!”

Wei Wuxian didn’t listen to his brother's pleas and instead turned his back on him and headed back into the flames with his flute in his hand and resentful energy surrounding him. When the Wen’s came in waves again and went straight for Wei Wuxian, they didn't get too close as Wei Wuxain sent a wave, knocking them all over and even sending some of them into the waters below. The rest who were still cowardly below his feet were being slaughtered by the walking corps of the fallen Jiang’s.

Raising his flute to his lips, Wei Wuxian played a haunting tune, ordering those resentful spirits in the river to rise and destroy those boats on the horizon. He even gave orders to the flames that were over taking the Lotus Pier to return to those who created it and turn them into ash. The Wen’s around the Lotus Pier were screaming all around as they were dying of their own power and before Wei Wuxian knew it he destroyed almost all the Wen’s who dared to try and take that was not there’s to have.

Wen Xu escaped, taking a float by the curtain of the river on a piece of driftwood from a destroyed boat.

Wei Wuxian looked over the Lotus Pier to see his handy work was what saved this place, that once upon a time was his home. Wei Wuxian looked up to where the bubble was holding his brother was still afloat and Jiang Cheng seemed to be crying but also relieved that Wei Wuxian kept to his word.

Not far off the land, up the river was Jiang Fengmain and Jiang Yanli returning home from Jinling. Jiang Fengmain was on the front of the boat holding a fixed hair pin that was broken when the children were young. Jiang Fengmain smiles at the memory of his wife holding Jiang Cheng in her arms smiling at their toddler of a son, just when he grabs the lotus pin that Jiang Fengmain gifted to his wife on their wedding day, and Jiang Cheng drops it watching it clatter to the ground.

Madam Yu didn’t grow upset over the pin, instead she smiled fondly over the toddler. Jiang Fengmain couldn't smile fondly as well over the memory. A time before his wife’s hatred clouded her judgement, though to be far so did his lover for his two lost friends also clouds his. He could never forgive himself for what he put his family through, all for a boy he truly never cared for. All he ever saw was his parents in him and never truly what the boy really was or could have been. Jiang Fengmain done so many wrongs in his life, more then who could ever been forgiven for.

Jiang Fengmain looked up from the hair piece and stared up at the moon trying to find peace within himself again but it never came as his daughter let out a scream. Jiang Fengmain runs to his daughter's side and finds her looking down in the water. He looks down as well to find bodies coming in hordes floating down the Lotus river filling the water with blood and filling the air with a rich copper smell.

Jiang Fengmain’s heart drops in his stomach as he raised his head to look where Lotus Pier should be kept and realized the sun was not coming up early, it was fire that was claiming the land. The closer they got, they saw broken boats and more dead bodies and fallen flags showing it was the Wens who were littering their lands.

Jiang Fengmain pulls out his sword, tossing it over the water before jumping on it and flying towards the Lotus Pier. Jiang Yanli wanted to follow but was being forced on the boat by her handmaids. Guards were right behind him, speeding down the river to make it to their home, hoping they weren’t too late to save it.

Lotus Pier came into view and Jiang Fengmain felt bile rise in his throat at the sight of his beloved home, his kingdom that has been in his family for generations. ‘Attempt the impossible’ was their motto, well this should be impossible to be happening to them. Their defence line should have been impossible for the Wens to penetrate and yet, he stood, with his home up in a blaze in front of him, and standing on the roof of the Lotus throne room was Wei Wuxian with his eyes burning red and performing Demonic Cultivation over his home.

JIang Fengmain was burning with anger at the sight of the boy. All he felt was hatred and anger, no, rage at the mere sight. He regretted bringing this boy on these lands, and should have let him die in the streets where he found him. His wife was right, that boy brought nothing but trouble for them ever since he shared the mear air with them.

His wife, he thought, where was his wife, his son?!?! He looked around and found rich purple robes that only belonged to the Madam of the house, lying motionless on the ground before Wei Wuxian. Jiang Fengmain, “My Lady?!” he said in a whisper as he lowered his sword to the ground and let it hover right over the ground as he bent down to pick up his wife to find she was far too cold, too still, and too quiet. She was never quiet… Jiang Fengmain shook as he let out a sob. Tears blinded him but when he looked up to be met with the red eyes of Wei Wxuain, he could see them clearly, he could only focus on his eyes, though they weren’t crazy or even ashamed, but remorseful. It only caused him to shake more but with rage.

He kisses his wife on her cold temple before laying her back down on her back. He placed the hair pin in her hands before closing them over her chest. He even ran a hand through her silk black hair to try and tame the mess of it as his wife would like before he looks up with hatred at his old friend's son in front of him.

With a cry, Jiang Fengmain rises into the air and charges at Wei Wuxian. Wei Wuxian was shocked to find his Uncle with such hatred towards him but he didn’t stop or even flinch when Jiang Fengmain jumps off his sword and called it to his hand, raising it in the air to strike down Wei Wuxian, but before he could make contact he was met with another blade. Reflecting his blow was his own son. Jiang Cheng was able to break out of the bubble when he saw his father ready to kill Wei Wuxian for something that wasn’t his fault, but tried to prevent it from happening.

Jiang Fengmain, “WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!” he raged to his son, shaking with fury.

Jiang Cheng, “This wasn’t Wei Wuxian fault!” he challenged his father, “I was here, I saw what happened, and it had NOTHING to do with Wei Wuxian and yet he was here to help us!”

Jiang Fengmain, “LIES! That boy is a plague, a CURSE!!! I SHOULD HAVE KILLED HIM WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE!!!!”

This caused both boys to faluter, Jinag Cheng, “I… I thought you loved Wei Wuxian more than I… was it all a lie? DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW TO LOVE?!?!”

JIang Fengmain, “Why would I love this boy who took my friends from me?!?” he seethed. “IF IT WASN’T FOR HIM MY FRIENDS WOULD BE HERE STILL!!!”

Jiang Cheng, “HE WASN’T EVEN THERE THAT NIGHT!!!!”

Jiang Fengmain didn’t listen, instead he countered his son’s sword enough to make Jiang Cheng lose his balance and lose his footing, tumbling over but not falling off the roof. Jiang Fengmain remained focused on Wei Wuxian as he charged once more to kill him where he stood. His sword blaring and without Wei Wuxian even moving a muscle, Wei Wuxian watched his Uncle come closer and before he realized, Wei Wuxian saw blood fly in the air and fall to the ground.

Wei Wuxian’s eyes widened to be met with even more shocked Jiang Fengmain, as who was behind him was Jiang Cheng with his sword embedded in his own father’s back coming through Jiang Fengmain’s chest.