knocking on heaven's (read: my employer's) door

Start from the beginning

Kazuha shakes his head. "If you ask me, I think it's good that your shop's gaining traction around Narukami Island. More business ventures make for more profit."

"I guess you're right," you sigh, hefting a sealed box of seeds into Kazuha's arms. "I can't believe it's only been a month since I opened up shop."

"I'm sure the store will continue to flourish from here on out," he comments with a smile, tapping on some prompts on the delivery app. "And with the extra help you have now, it'll be an easier feat as well."

Your eyes instinctively drift over to the window, where you can spot Arataki rounding up the hose outside in loose coils that he has no trouble carrying on one arm. Though you're loath to admit it, you sigh at your delivery boy's observation—trying to force down the smile that threatens to erupt on your face.

"He's only here for the meantime, though..."

Once you've sent Kazuha off, you spot Arataki picking a caterpillar from the leaves of your freshly repotted dracaenas. You could've sworn you heard him telling it off for wandering where it shouldn't before turning to you.

"Oi, didn't you say these guys are gonna eat up your plants?" he wonders aloud, watching as the tiny caterpillar coils around his finger. "Where should I put him then?"

Well, at least he's actually retaining all the stuff you told him on his first day. You sigh, folding your arms across your chest. "Just kill it with salt in the back."

Arataki gasps, like you just uttered something offensive. "Are you that heartless, master? These guys can turn into beautiful butterflies if they live long enough! Why're you gonna have 'em killed?"

"Because they put holes in my leaves?" you deadpan.

"Unacceptable!" he shouts before marching into the shop.

When you follow Arataki inside, you find him rummaging through one of the cabinets where you kept some empty jars for sale. Your apprentice grabs one from inside, and places it on top of your work table. He does all this with his index finger still outstretched, and while you observe his maneuvering from the side, you can't help the peal of amusement that bubbles in your chest. You knew that this guy has a total soft spot for all insect-life, but to actually see his compassion in action is a whole different story.

Is he even a gang leader at all?

"There you go. Nice and comfy," Arataki says once he uncaps the jar, letting the caterpillar down on the base of the glass container. "Now let's get you some food..."

That makes you perk up. "Wh— You're not going to pluck leaves off my plants, are you?"

The culpable look on his face tells you everything you need to know.

"Ugh. Fine, give me a sec."

And that's how you end up handing Arataki a bunch of dried leaves you intended to dispose of earlier. You were used to crushing them to mix in with some fertilizer, but your stock for that is already overflowing as is, so you didn't really have a need to keep the leaves. But watching Arataki feed them to a little caterpillar—red eyes glimmering with awe—puts you strangely at ease.

Sometime later, Shinobu pushes past the front door of the shop—looking all sorts of haggard, like she usually does nowadays.

"Sorry I couldn't drop by earlier," she sighs. "How's the boss holding up?"

"Shinobu!" Arataki beams from the seat he pulled closer to the window earlier, gesturing towards the jar sitting on the windowpane. "We got a new friend!"