(12) Broken Laws - Present

Start from the beginning

She made a fool out of him much like she did me.

Emmett and I were side by side, neither one of us giving the other the upper hand. I lost track of the others that had fallen behind us. Though I was sure that Carlisle and them were just a few steps back.

We watched as she jumped once again.

"Emmett, no!" Rosalie shouted.

I grinned, throwing my elbow back into Emmett and knocking him out of the race. I didn't glance over my shoulder to see what he had crashed into and broke, feeling a bruise form where I hit him. He was a lot harder then I thought he'd be.

"Belle, stop!" Carlisle shouted.

The ground disappeared from under me as I pushed off into the air and followed after the vampire. I watched, knowing that once I hit the ground that I would catch her in only seconds and this time she wouldn't be throwing me to the side like before.

A growl came before I felt teeth dig into my arm, throwing me away from my prey and into the ground. A snap sounded as I let out a startled scream, my body hitting the rock before I slammed into cold water. I splashed around before I righted my self, snarling right back at the dog as he stood above me.

Water dripped down me as I tightened my arm against me, feeling as my ribs cried out in pain. My arm screamed from the puncture wounds that I got him it's teeth.

I was half tempted to teach the dog a lesson and half tempted to finish off the vampire that was the cause behind this. My eyes left his as I calmed myself down my eyes going to the blood that was clear as day.

"Stop! She didn't mean to cross," Carlisle said, interfering between us.

Stepping backwards, I didn't turn my back on the dog that had stopped me from getting the vampire. Once I felt the rock behind me I turned and jumped landing beside Carlisle and Emmett. They pushed me behind them, Emmett snarling at the wolf.

He bare his teeth, as if that didn't matter.

It looked like he wanted to cross the line and attack everyone.

A hand was placed on my shoulder.

Another dog appeared pushing the grey one back. I watched as they finally noticed the scent of blood in the air, both heads snapping once more in my direction. I glared at them from between Carlisle and Emmett.

One whimpered, confusion in its eyes. The grey one snarled, his lips moving back to show its teeth.

"Let's not fight." Carlisle tried once again.

"Oh, lets fight. I'll rip his heart out the second I can," I hissed, all to happy to finish him off. "He let that vampire get away because he thought I was one of you."

It seems my comment seemed to have offended the gray wolf. His killing intent just became all that more powerful.

"Belle, enough," Carlisle ordered.

I nodded, taking a few more steps back so I wouldn't be tempted to rip the dogs head off still. The sound of a cloth ripping sounded before Esme wrapped something around my arms to stop the bleeding.

She was worried about me even when it was clear we had bigger problems on our hands.

"Paul, back off." A voice commanded, a man appearing on the rock wearing a pair of shorts.

I felt like I knew him. His scent was familiar.

"You know the treaty," he said, glaring down at us.

"He didn't break the treaty!" I snapped, his eyes meeting mine. "None of the Cullen's went over the line." I stood tall, staring him down.

Where had I seen him from before?

"What are you? It's clear you are not one of them but you're not human either."

"Is that so?" I asked, grinning at him. "I thought I was human enough when I found Bella alone in the forest! I thought I was human enough when I carried her through the woods without your help! I thought I was human enough when I ate the fish that Billy had sent me."

Stupid dogs.

"Vampires can not eat human food."

"So someone got a legend wrong."

It was clear that he was the Alpha of the pack. How hadn't I known what he was that first night I seen him. How did I not realize that he was of the supernatural world.

I might've stayed longer then.

Might've been curious enough to figure out what he was.

"Don't mock us! How do we know you don't threaten the lives of the humans that surround you!" Sam demanded. "You're a danger to our land and families."

He raised his hand as if getting ready to order an attack.

"Carlisle." Unease filled me as I haven't faced creatures like his.

"She isn't a threat, Sam!" Carlisle declared, the others tightening around me. "Can't you tell that by how she didn't attack your wolf that was bent on tearing her to pieces. My family still isn't a treat to you or anyone in the area."

"I will talk to the elders about it. If they deem her a threat we will come for her." Sam turned, leaving.

He just threatened my family.

I would rip his head off his he set one paw over that line.

No one threatens my family.