"Oh Pansy! What a surprise." Hermione's cheerful voice perforated Pansy's eardrums.

"Yes, very surprising considering you were the one who petitioned I be allowed back in school. Thanks for that one by the way," Pansy rolled her eyes, no gratitude laced in her voice. Granger's eyes widened but her smile stayed in place, posture perfect and always eager to please McGonagall.

"I'd be happy to show Pansy to the eighth year table if you'd like, Headmaster."

"That would be lovely, dear. Thank you, and I'll see you both in class tomorrow," the old witch gave them both a curt nod and made her way back to the teacher's table.

"It's this way," Granger told her, waiting for Pansy to follow. As they drew closer Pansy could see everyone who had made it back.

Of course Draco, Theo, Blaise, Millicent and Daphne were there; they had all been given the same deal after their trial. What was surprising was the lack of Scar Face and Weaselbee. She did notice the presence of Longbottom, the weird kid who was always burning off his eyebrows, the weird kid's boyfriend, some Hufflepuff girl, one of the Patils, and of course Granger. Only twelve people had returned to Hogwarts for their eighth year, six of them being forced.

Pansy took a seat beside Draco, giving the rest of her friends a small smile.

"Why in the hell is Granger staring at you?" Draco whispered in her ear. Pansy flicked her eyes up and noticed, yes, Granger was staring at her.

"I don't know, maybe she's plotting my demise," Draco snorts and leans back over to his spot, effectively ending the conversation.

After a few minutes McGonagall rose from her seat and placed the top of her wand on her throat.

"Good evening students, we are all happy to welcome you back to Hogwarts after the unfortunate events of last term. While we are all still mourning the loss of our fellow classmates, parents, and teachers, I hope we can come together and help each other. This year is destined for greatness, and it is an honor to be your headmaster. Thank you." Claps erupted throughout the dining hall, everybody smiling, some wiping away tears. Pansy couldn't have been less enthused about this year. It's not like she got to do anything.

The Slytherins were on close watch, always having to report to fucking Minister Shacklebolt. He wanted a foot long written play-by-play of their activities every bloody week. Pansy still hadn't written hers that was expected by tomorrow.

She pushed her food around her plate, not hungry after all the fuss.

"Aren't you going to eat?" Granger asked her, light caramel eyes boring into Pansy's dark ones.

"Are you the food police? Can't I eat in peace?"

"Well you're not eating," she stated matter-of-factly. Pansy was determined to ignore the stupid witch, but Granger kept pushing her buttons. "I heard we'll all be sharing a common room this year."

"What?!" Draco asked as Pansy choked on her pumpkin juice.

"We'll there's only ten eighth years so I presume we'll all be sharing a part of the castle," Granger went on, question in her voice.

"How can they expect us to share common rooms with you? You're all bloody Gryffindors for Merlin's sake!" Theo spit.

"Actually I'm a Hufflep-"

"So? We're all in the same boat here; we're all just trying to finish school. What does it matter what houses we were in?" Granger said. Her mouth had screwed up into an unattractive scowl and her eyebrows scrunched as far down as Pansy had ever seen.

"If you think we're all in the same boat you're delusional Granger," Daphne said.

"Smartest witch of our generation my arse!" Draco huffed.

"I get that some minor details of our situations are different but we're all here now," Granger tried.

"No, you don't get it. Because you're the Golden Girl and we're just the kids with the Deatheater parents that killed mudbloods like you." Gasps were heard around the table as Pansy uttered the one word she knew would hurt the most. She could see the tears in Hermione's eyes, she could also see the determination not to let them fall. "You don't know us Granger, so stop acting like it."

Hermione didn't talk for the rest of dinner, keeping her eyes trained on her plate. When they were done she silently stood up and made her way towards McGonagall, waiting for further instructions to their dorms. Everyone followed her, eager to find out themselves.

Pansy felt a small prick of regret for her words, but she pushed it down; Pansy wouldn't let her emotions get in the way of finishing school as quick as possible.

"You all will be split up into pairs, sharing a dorm with your partner and also a common room with the whole group," Some faces lit up, but the Slytherins all groaned.

"I will be calling out the names now : Seamus Finnigan and Dean Thomas," Both boys gave each other sly smiles and high-fived.

"Hannah Abbott and Padma Patil," the girls just nodded, neither ecstatic but neither upset either.

"Draco Malfoy and Neville Longbottom," Neville choked on air and Draco's eyes bulged out of his head.

"What the fuck?!" Draco shouted, interrupting McGonagall and causing her gaze to shift from her parchment.

"Watch your language Mr. Malfoy or you'll be serving your first detention tonight." Draco nodded sullenly, glaring at Longbottom who surprisingly glared right back. It seems that killing Nagini actually gave the git some confidence.

"Theo Nott and Blaise Zabini, Daphne Greengrass and Millicent Bulstrode," Pansy's hands were now slick with the knowledge of who her roommate was. Her and Granger stared at each other as their names were called out, their fate for the rest of the year decided.

"You may all go to your dorms now, they are located in the South Wing, at the end of the Abandoned Hallway. Your password is Unity." McGonagall gave all of them one last look before heading off to who knows where. Pansy was shell shocked, she had to room with Granger. Nothing was going her way this year.

Daphne came to her side and gave her a sympathy pat on the shoulder.

"Tough luck Pans, but you can come to ours whenever buck teeth gets too annoying."

"Which is all the time," Millicent snickered. Pansy laughed, but she could tell it wasn't convincing.

Granger didn't have buck teeth anymore.