32.

"You'll be alright. Just fine," Louis mumbles below the hum of the radio. His hand is on my knee, his thumb tracing over my leg.

"Will it be fine?" I ask pathetically. He stays silent, and Jace doesn't say anything from the backseat. I'd feel a whole lot better if Mia was here too. "I mean, we hardly even made anything official. They're going to ask questions, especially with me looking like this. I can't just tell them I got hit by a car, walking away from my boyfriend that wasn't you. Hell, we barely had time to process everything, just the two of us. Our story may not line up, and I've probably got some big shoes to fill after everything you've been through."

"Well, good thing I'll be there. If something does start to sound a little off, I can always interrupt with something," Jace chimes into the conversation. I nibble on my bottom lip, gazing outside the windshield.

"It'll be fine," Louis whispers in a more hushed tone.

Meeting Josh's family, I had time to prepare for it, whereas I had little to no time tonight. I spent nearly two hours trying to pick out the right outfit, figuring out how to style my hair and applying just the right amount of makeup for Josh's family. Little did I know, his mum and sister would be so stiff that night. It only worsened my anxiety, even if he tried reassuring me that everything was okay that night.

Maybe I should have known how our relationship would turn out based on how that night went, but I assumed the best.

Now I'm here, formally going to dinner with Louis' mum and two sisters. Makeup can't hide what that car did to me, and my boot and crutches don't go well with anything. I wish I had time to prepare for this, or at least didn't have to wear this boot.

Great.

Just great.

It isn't long before we end up at some restaurant not too far off from campus. I tried to dress similar to his mother and sisters. His mum had that black dress on, Amelia wore a creme-coloured sweater dress, and Sophia wore a black sweater with a red skirt. I put on a black, long-sleeve dress, with the limited time I did have. It's too much work putting pants on with a cast on my foot.

I pinch the bridge of my nose and try to breathe through the anxiety. They seem nice so far. Comparing them to Josh's family, they already seem so much kinder from the little time I saw them. Then again, Josh and his family could probably make anyone look good.

Why do I feel so sick?

I'm nearly slumping in my seat when he pulls up at the restaurant. I am not ready for this.

The two get out, and I slowly unbuckle myself. Jace opens my door for me, holding onto my crutches that he kept in the back. I thank him softly, carefully lowering myself out of Louis' car. My mind is running a mile a minute. I nearly slip, getting out, but my hand grabs onto the door, and Jace grabs my arm. I curse under my breath before thanking him. I'm not off to the best start.

"Are you alright?" Jace asks softly, his brown eyes filled with concern. I hum pathetically with a small nod. I'm not alright. He gives a weak smile like he knows the truth. I look away while steadying myself with the crutches.

"I'm sorry you have to do this right now," Louis sighs. My head shakes, not wanting any apology. His hand finds my lower back before I start for this restaurant.

His mother and sisters are already inside, seated at a table. I swear his mother's face is a little more swollen, and her blue eyes appear brighter. She most definitely cried.

"I'm sorry if this was too much for you," Sophia apologises quickly.

"I'm okay," I fake a smile. I figured I was done with the fake smiles. My anxiety is getting the best of me. I sit before Sophia, Louis sitting to my left and Jace sitting to his left. I want to toss these crutches far from me, but I prop them against the end of the table instead. It's a nice little restaurant, and these crutches are out of place.