The Reason

The Reason
The sun was low in the sky, casting the woods and the restored Roman fort into a dull orange glow. The thick canopy provided ample secrecy for the Norse army hidden from the Saxon sentinels on the town's watchtowers. The army waited in the woods, secure after 4 days travelling from their conquered haven of Jorvik[1]. Two tents had been erected for the Viking's leaders: Gunnar and his younger brother Sköll.

"It's near impossible to get in without being noticed." Gunnar flicked his eyes over the drawing of the fort.

One dimly lit tent consisted only of a table with three chairs. Gunnar, Sköll and Olaf, Gunnar's second in command, stood around the table. Leif, Sköll's childhood friend and closest confidante, stood only a few feet away from his chief. A map of the fort and town was spread on the table.

The royal family of the South Folk now occupied what once was a Roman castrum[2]. They resided in the upper, smaller section of the fortification along with the barracks and stables. With a river and the cliff edge behind it, the fort was on higher ground and had been built about five feet away from the town below. Access between the two was a large set of stone steps with equally large gates at either end, and was surrounded by a deeply dug ditch. The town was much greater in size than the fort and also protected by Roman stone walls that once housed barracks for up to 1200 soldiers. The two main streets of the town split it into quarters, reaching north to south and east to west.

The map had been altered in preparation for an attack. Several blots of blood along the outer walls indicated the numerous sentinels that had been spotted by three scouting parties sent around the walls. Three had been seen on each watchtower at the corners of the fort and three were dotted on each length of the wall. However, the four watchtowers around the town occupied only one guard at a time, while none were present along the walls.

"We use the two sections to our advantage, brother." Sköll told Gunnar. "But I do not think it wise we just attack." Sköll warned. "I advise having a reason for the attack, that way we are safe from any hatred that may arise from the guards and townsfolk-" His words were halted when Olaf slumped down on a seat at the end of the table.

"You want a reason to justify the attack for yourself?" Olaf questioned. His arms crossed over his chest. "Because of your merchant ways, you have grown weak and do not have the mind of a warrior."

Sköll raised an eyebrow at his brother's closest confidante.

"Silence, Olaf. Sköll has a point." Gunnar spoke. He put his hands on the table and looked at Olaf. "My brother's brains and logic are better than everyone else's in this army put together. I recognize that, and value it greatly in times like these. This is not just any fort. This fort houses royalty. Royalty that includes four young princesses."

Sköll rolled his eyes when a smirk spread across Olaf's mouth. "My apologies, my lord."

"As I was suggesting, brother," Sköll focused his attention back on the scroll, "we offer the King protection from any further raiding parties."

"At what cost?"

"He merely signs a contract ensuring peace and provides us housing between campaigns." Sköll nodded at Leif. The quiet man exited the tent and returned with a younger man. No weapons adorned the man's waist or any jewelry, but he still stood proud and well kept.

"Who is this man?" Gunnar walked up to him.

The man bowed. "I am Alfarr, my lord."

"He is here to fulfill his repentance." Sköll told his brother.

"Of what crime?"

"Murder."

Olaf stood from the seat. "Did he not pay the weregild[3]?"