remember who you are

❗️❗️❗️ TW: Child abuse. The scene is very short, but I still put the tw around the paragraphs just in case. 

----------------------------

"Some people are in such utter darkness that they will burn you just to see a light."

----------------------------

17 ABY, Batuu

Black Spire Outpost, The Whispering Eye

Third person POV.

Marras had always been a light sleeper. She would rouse at the slightest of sounds during the night. It could be a creak of wood underneath someone's foot, a scuttle of a rat in the ceiling above her, or even the gentle prattle of rain when it hit the glass of her window. She blamed her childhood for this. Before the Whispering Eye, she lived in the Orphanage until the First Order began taking kids and grooming them to be Troopers. She fled before she was taken and lived most of her life homeless. Survival meant everything, so she eventually learned to be aware of her surroundings, even when she was asleep.

Although that need was no longer necessary, now she actually had a roof over her head and people she could trust surrounding her. It became a burden rather than a blessing. All she ever wanted was one night's rest without being disturbed by any amount of noise.

However, that night something roused her with a start. A whisper in her dreams turned into a bellow when it shouted her name in her ear. Marras shot out of bed with heavy breathing. Her eyes darted around her bedroom, expecting to see someone in it, but all she saw was empty space, and all she heard was the void of silence. Just when Marras was about to descend back into the comforts of her bed, she heard the ceiling creek above her head, followed by muffled whines of distress, and a spike of panic shot down her spine.

"Sigyn," she said out loud before pulling the sheets off of her and rushing out of her room. Her heart rapidly beat against her rib cage and all sense of logic vanished as she ran through the long hallway of doors on delicate toes. Making it to the attic door, she threw herself through the threshold and bounded up the stairs, holding up the length of her night gown.

** tw begins **

The room was brightly lit, and the pillars and furniture casted long dark shadows. Sigyn was pinned to the floor by Demetra, who was forcing the girl's arm to extend above her. A Klatoonian man held her wrist with one paw and the other held an electric needle to the exposed flesh of her wrist. The ten year old jerked around against her mother's body, her screams of pain muffled by the woman's hand, and her eyes magnified by a thick layer of tears.

"WHAT IN UNIVERSE ARE YOU DOING?!" Maras shouted and ran over to Demetra and pushed her off. Once her hand was dislodged from Sigyn's mouth, the child's screams echoed around the walls of the attic. "Get off of her!" The teenager shouted at the Klatoonian who still had his hand gripping her wrist, keeping the tattoo needle planted to her skin as he finished the end of the design. When Marras pushed him, his hand jerked and it sent a line through the top of the design where the shallow flesh of Sigyn's wrist was.

** tw ends **

The girl shrieked in pain. Her free arm shot out in front of her, fingers splayed as she thrusted her hand at the male. As if she willed a strong gust of wind, it caused him to go flying across the room.