Chapter 76 - The Second Task

Start from the beginning

The cold glow of the stars above cast an ethereal radiance to her fair skin and black tresses. Fred Weasley could not grasp how a person could be so wonderful and charming, and smart and witty, charismatic and enchanting. He chuckled at the confused tilt of Betelgeuse's head.

How cute, he thought.

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" He spoke, startling the Black.

"Have you been reading Shakespear lately?" She asked. She sounded bewildered but somewhat intrigued.

"The Sonnet 18 may have appeared somehow into my hands," Fred replied, trying to imitate Betelgeuse's natural poised way of speech.

She shook her head, smiling. "You are a wonder, mon bonheur."

"That's new," he murmured, encircling her in his arms.

The Black hummed, propping her chin on his wool-encased chest. She watched Fred from under her long eyelashes, noticing the mesmerised and unguarded expression on his face.

"I love you."

The three words hung heavy between the two.

The stillness of the cold night pierced their minds like a frozen dagger, wounding and scarring their heart. Fred recoiled from their embrace as if an invisible foe had struck him. Betelgeuse tightened her hold on the tall young man, trapping him.

"Do not withdraw from me, Fred," she ordered as she studied his soul with her grey eyes. The boy felt all his deepest secrets could be revealed to her, but he could not escape.

"In vain have I struggled. My pureblood upbringing had ingrained in me the utmost obligation of shielding sentiments and passions. Alas, it will not do. My feelings will not be repressed any longer. You must allow me to inform you how ardently I adore and love you, Fred."

Betelgeuse knew she had left Fred speechless, so she let out an uncharacteristically girlish squeal when he seized her and, lifting her from the ground, twirled her around, laughing, shouting his happiness to the night sky, and chanting her praises.

A lone wolf howled to the moon far away in the Forbidden Forest as a solitary comet drew a perfect arch over the young couple.

That night was the witness of a new young and pure love that night.

☆☆☆

The day of the second task came, and Harry Potter was nowhere to be found. Betelgeuse followed the restless twins as they marched towards the lake. Fred and George had decided to use the occasion to their advantage, taking small bets along the way.

"Three guys!"

"One lady!"

"All four go down —"

"— But will all four come up?"

Betelgeuse looked around as she sat with the twins on the bank of the lake. The seats rose in stands that were packed to the bursting point and reflected in the lake below. The excited babble of the crowd echoed strangely across the water as the Black examined the younger champion run flat-out around the other side of the lake toward the judges, who were sitting at another gold-draped table at the water's edge.