Chapter 39 - Peculiar Aftermaths

______________________________________________________________________________

You have me,

I will always find a home in the stars. 

Until every last of them dies,

you have me.

______________________________________________________________________________

Professor Dumbledore sent all the Gryffindors back to the Great Hall; they were joined ten minutes later by the students from Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin, who all looked extremely disoriented.

"The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the Castle," Professor Dumbledore told them as Professors McGonagall and Flitwick closed all doors.

"I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the Hall. I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately," he added to Percy, who was looking immensely proud and boastful. "Send word with one of the ghosts."

Professor Dumbledore paused, about to leave, and said, "Oh, yes, you'll be needing—"

One casual wave of his wand and the long tables flew to the edges of the vast room and stood themselves against the walls; another wave, and the floor was covered with hundreds of squashy purple sleeping bags.

"Sleep well," Professor Dumbledore declared, closing the door behind him. The Hall instantly began to hum excitedly; the Gryffindors told the rest of the school what had just happened.

"Everyone into their sleeping bags!" shouted Percy. "Prefects here! We will take turns. Come on, now, no more talking! Lights out in ten minutes!"

Betelgeuse left the twin's side, approaching the older Weasley with the other Prefects.

"Black, you will take the first turn with Hilliard, two hours. Guard the entrance."

Betelgeuse nodded to Percy. She slipped through the students, stopping under the huge threshold of the Great Hall. She heard Hilliard clear his throat to gain her attention. She turned to the Ravenclaw with an elegant, raised eyebrow.

"Well, since we're stuck here for the next two hours," he began, sticking his hand towards Betelgeuse, "I am Robert, Robert Hilliard."

Betelgeuse did not reply immediately; instead, she observed him in silence. He was a thin average-sized boy, shorter than her. His dirty blond hair went in all directions while his round coffee-coloured eyes looked at her with curiosity.

"I know." She replied curtly.

The boy seemed baffled by her bluntly, scarce reply and withdrew his hand, but he did not cease to try to chat with her. "So, Sirius Black got into Hogwarts?" Hilliard asked quietly.

Betelgeuse hummed idly.

"Do you think Black's still in the Castle?" The boy whispered anxiously.

Betelgeuse hummed again.

"Dumbledore obviously thinks he might be," the Ravenclaw continued to ramble, "Luckily he picked tonight, you know. Didn't realize it was Halloween."

Betelgeuse did not even acknowledge his chatters with a silent hum this time.

Of all the Prefects Humungous Bighead could pair me with, he chose this incoherent pestiferous nark. Blast it all!