}18{ - Game Changer

Start from the beginning

Livia gave a small cough, swallowed hard, and began, "Deep in the meadow, under the willow, a bed of grass, a soft green pillow. Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes and when again they open, the sun will rise."

"Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm. Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true. Here is the place where I love you."

Rue's eyes had fluttered shut.

Her chest moved but only slightly.

Livia's eyes released the tears and they slid down her cheeks.

But Livia had to finish the song for her.

"Deep in the meadow, hidden far away, a cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray. Forget your woes and let your troubles lay and when again it's morning, they'll wash away."

"Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm", The final lines were barely audible, "Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true. Here is the place where I love you."

Everything was still and quiet.

Then, almost eerily, the mockingjays took up her song.

For a moment, Livia sat there, watching her tears drip down onto Rue's face.

Rue's cannon fired.

Livia leaned forward and pressed her lips against the girls temple.

Slowly, as if not to wake her, Livia laid her head back on the ground and released her hand.

They will want her to clear out now.

So they could collect the bodies.

And there was nothing to stay for.

Livia rolled Marvel onto his face and took his pack, retrieving the disc that ended his life.

Livia cut Rue's pack from her back as well, knowing she would want Livia to have it but left the spear in her stomach.

Weapons in bodies would be transported to the hovercraft.

Livia would have no use for a spear, so the sooner it was gone from the arena the better.

Livia couldn't stop looking at Rue, smaller than ever, a baby animal curled up in a nest of netting.

Livia couldn't bring herself to leave Rue like that.

Past harm, but seeming utterly defenseless.

To hate Marvel, who also appeared so vulnerable in death, seemed inadequate.

It was the Capitol she hated, for doing this to all of them.

There was no way to take revenge on the Capitol.

Was there?

Then Livia remembered Peeta's words on the roof.

"Only I keep wishing I could think of a way to. to show the Capital they don't own me. That I'm more than just a piece in their Games."