Six

It had been two weeks since the start of Evan and Connor's friendship, and although they only really talked in the lessons they shared, both were equally grateful for the bond they shared. Evan's thoughts had even settled down a little and he was no longer worried all the time about everything crashing and burning. Things looked good. They really did. For the both of them.

"Boo," Connor said sliding into his chair, with absolutely no emotion as was typical for a Tuesday morning. 

"Hi Connor," Evan said, smiling shyly. Out of the four classes they shared, biology was by far the best. The teacher was really chill and didn't care if the class talked as long as they got the work done. And even better, she let them pick their partners for the big science project they had upcoming. Previously, this would have been something Evan would dread. Now though, he had Connor, and Connor had him, and the second the word partners was called out, there was a mutual silent agreement between both of them that they'd be working together.

"So, um... have you thought of any ideas for the science project?" Connor asked. The theme was life, and considering that was something he considered himself pretty shit at in general, Connor thought it would be better if he let Evan take control.

"Well, basically, um, I have this thing... like, there's this thing I really like, uh, I just thought, trees, we could do something, um, actually never mind, uh, um..." Evan stuttered nervously, his whole face turning red. Obviously, Connor didn't do anything except allow himself a little internal smile, but he actually found Evan's indecisive mumbling really sweet.

"Don't "never mind" me Hansen, trees are a great idea. It's kinda fun, and different to what most people will do... plus it's easier than trying to bring a mayfly into school or something," Connor said thoughtfully, smiling when he saw a huge grin light up Evan's face.

"I, um, it's just I like trees a lot. God, I sound like a nerd. But they're just so beautiful, so interesting, so special.... it's like each one is speaking to you. Each one has a different story to tell. And if you take the time to listen...." Evan said dreamily, gazing distantly into Connor's eyes. "Oh god, sorry. You probably don't care at all. I'll shut up," Evan mumbled, turning red once again and looking away.

"I do care! It's um.... it's cool that you're so like... passionate about something. It gives you a purpose in life, you know? Me, I'm just floating around in outer space trying not to wreck anyone else's story," Connor said, suddenly awkward. He hadn't really opened up to Evan about anything yet. Yeah, of course Evan would already know what people talked about, but it was different somehow when it came from him. But Connor didn't want to get deep right now, so instead he laughed carelessly and changed the subject back to trees.

"Well, if you want to see some really cool trees, then I've got a perfect place," he said, smiling mysteriously at the boy in front of him.

"Really? Where?!" Evan asked excitedly. Connor wriggled his eyebrows, trying to keep up the mysterious persona. 

"Hmmmm. You'll see," he smiled. "You free after school today?" He paused just long enough to let Evan nod. "Meet me in the car park after school. I'll take you to the place of your DREEEEEAMS," Connor howled dramatically, causing both of them to snort with laughter.

Still, Evan couldn't stop a tiny firework from erupting inside his chest. He was actually meeting up with a friend outside of school. YaYAyyaayayayayaaaYAya