Chapter 3

Bradaen's POV

I was jittery all day long. I couldn't wait until the last bell rang, so that I could go and meet Mr. Anderson in the cafe across the street. I wish he picked a location a little farther from the school, though. I don’t want somebody finding out and getting the wrong idea; he could lose his job. I mean...this was just a friendly discussion between two Supernaturals, it was not a date.

Was it?

That’s what I was making myself believe, anyway.

The cold wind brushed against my face as I walked out of the school building. I had walked out as soon as the bell rang, because I didn’t want anyone to catch up with me and try to follow me; or worse, ask me where I was going and with whom. That’s what life was like for the next alpha. You didn’t get any privacy.

“Bradaen! Hey, Bradaen! Wait up!” I could hear someone call my name.

Great. It’s Ariel. I really didn’t want to talk to her right now. She was the most over-protective wolf I knew, she didn’t want to get me out of her sight. She treated me like a pup, her own pup, even though she was no more than a few months older than me.

Ariel was abandoned when she was around 15 years old, after she had reached human form. She does not remember her parents or how she was abandoned, but our pack took her in and treated her like their own kin. She became protective of everyone in the pack, especially me. I was the same age as her when she was taken into our pack.

She was always scared and jumpy and did not bond with anyone. I was always nice to her, I taught her how to hunt, and…I guess this is her way of thanking me.

In her own twisted way.

Ariel was 19 now. She’s supposed to be meeting her mate any time, and when she does, she’ll mate with him and she will join his pack. She doesn’t have anyone special; at least, that’s what she tells us. If she doesn’t find her mate anytime soon…if she doesn’t, things will go bad.

There have been only a few cases of rogue wolves with no mate. The gods did not take any time to make a mate for them, and they stay single all their life. They usually commit suicide after a while; the pain from being separated from their nonexistent mate is too strong.

I picked up my pace and walked away from her.

“Yo, Bradaen! Did you not hear me?” Ariel yelled and caught up with me.

Who am I to run away from a wolf? A fast one, too.

I turned to face her and faked a smile.

“Hey, Ariel. Um--no, I didn’t hear you. I, uh, I have to catch up with someone. I’ll see you later.” I said, looking down.

She frowned and said, “Okay. Who are you going with? Do I know her or him? Are they a Supernatural? Are they safe to be around with?”

I sighed. “What are you, the FBI? I’ll hang out with whomever I want. Leave me alone. You have no right to ask me those questions.”

Ariel’s frowned deepened and she shook her head. “Bradaen, you’re next in line for alpha. I have to ask you these questions, what if something happens to you? This pack would be ruined.”

“Stop following my every move. Chill out. I’ll be back by dinner. You tell mom.”

Before she could say anything else, I ran. I could feel her stare on my back, but when I turned around she wasn’t there. I sighed, relieved, and walked up to the café.

I inhaled and smelled the sweet smell of coffee. I looked around, looking for a familiar face amongst the dozens that were there. My heart almost stopped when I spotted Mr. Anderson sitting at the far end of the café.