Chapter 9: Partners Without A Care

Celeste hated being at Hogwarts after what had happened. Everywhere she looked, she could see the life that she could have had. After having gone through what she had, she would never be normal again. It wasn't written in her fate.

And it certainly wasn't helping with Sirius'.....whatever he was trying.

She had classes with all of them, because that year, Gryffindors were paired up with Hufflepuffs most of the time. Ravenclaw and Slytherin got along better with this particular batch, and that was yet another reason why Celeste hated how her life was taking different turns.

It all happened one day during Potions when Professor Slughorn made her and Remus Lupin partners. Both their eyes had widened when the Professor had read out their names, neither of them expecting the other's company to be of any good to who they were friends with. But they were known as Switzerland for a reason.

Celeste left her usual partner's side, who was a silent girl, never really talked much, which was perfect for Celeste because she was all about completing her work and getting grades. She never allowed people to have small talk with her because she shared nothing in common with these people. Nobody even knew what had happened to her, and the Headmaster wanted it to be that way. It was to protect her, she knew that. After all, who could love a monster like her?

Celeste tried not to slam her books onto the table as she stood beside Remus. She could feel both their annoyance at a higher rate than she usually would have. Her powers weren't helping keep her calm that morning, quite the opposite really. She kept tapping a finger under the bench, the rhythmic tune helping her breathe at a normal pace.

"Let the work begin," said the Professor.

Remus and Celeste looked at each other and opened their textbooks to the page where they had to prepare a certain potion that could get them into the good graces of the Professor. Celeste scolded her fate for not having paired her up with Lily, who was and always had been Slughorn's favourite.

"I think we should go with this." He pointed to the Strengthening Potion.

"Won't the Deflating Draught be easier?" She asked, knowing that the draught will require a longer resting period.

Both of them chose a third one entirely and decided to make the Befuddlement Draught, which would make the drinker reckless for a few hours. It was certainly not what Remus had in mind since his friends were reckless even without having to ever consume the draught, but it felt like a statement that Celeste was trying to make, as if to remind him how she had saved their position at Hogwarts.

"I just wanted to tell you that-"

Celeste's hand stopped cutting. "If you are trying because of what Sirius told you-"

"Hey hey, I only want that jar next to you."

"Oh." She breathed in sharply. "Sorry." She picked the crystal jar up and placed it near Remus, who picked it up and wondered why she hadn't handed it to him when he had held his hand out. She hadn't wanted a pity party surrounding her life, certainly not from Sirius Black of all people.

"Thank you," said Remus and added the solution into it, letting it rest with an open mouth for a while. "We're not usually like this, you know?" He started, wanting to go back to the topic that he had been meaning to talk to her about.

"I know you're not," she said, still not meeting his eyes.

"Okay." He nodded, not wanting to push her. If they were going to be partners for the rest of the year, he would have to keep his friendly side to himself. The girl had walls up and she wouldn't let him break it. "Just wanted you to know." He pursed his lips and smiled, continuing to stir the cauldron.

After a few minutes passed by with their hearts beating against their chest, Celeste spoke again. "You are not like them," she said, surprising Remus into jerking his head to see her. She stopped what she was doing and turned around, crossing her arms across her chest. "You're kind and....you care. So why do you spend time with them?"

Remus opened his mouth to say something and let out a laugh. He couldn't believe that she had asked that question. Had he managed to melt the iceberg that she was? "Sorry, I shouldn't have asked that. We don't know each other." She turned around and continued to work.

"Well, I wouldn't mind another friend," said Remus, trying to get to know her more. He would never understand her strategy unless he could convince her that he really did care for her and wanted to be her friend. Somehow, he thanked the Professor in his mind, which was different from what he had felt at the beginning of the class.

Celeste smiled softly. "Thanks."

"To answer your question-"

"You don't have to. It was stupid of me to ask it."

"No, it wasn't. A lot of people wonder about it." He inhaled sharply. "It's because they are like my brothers. They are my family. My life isn't always fun but they make it easier for me to be who I am....and I wouldn't trust anyone else."

That was certainly insightful for Celeste. Remus was always the one she couldn't quite place because he always seemed to have a mysterious aura to him. He would always put up a smile even if he wasn't happy. He was certainly an interesting person, and like him, Celeste was also glad that the Professor had paired them up. Maybe she only needed to get to know him without judging him because of his friends.

"Well, I'm sorry for all the troubles you have to go through because of your brothers."

Remus laughed louder than he was supposed to, which gathered the entire room's attention, and Professor Slughorn's. Celeste widened her eyes at her partner with a huge smile on her face. "Sorry." Remus scoffed and continued to work, ignoring everyone's stares, especially one particular Hufflepuff's - Elora. He had a silent crush towards her but he never told anyone about it. There was something about her that made him feel drawn towards her. Maybe it was her perfect olive skin or dark brown hair. Or maybe it was how she never failed to smile at someone when she talked with them. There was something about her.

Celeste whistled silently to him. "I see someone spying!" She sing-songed, cocking her head towards Elora, whom she had noticed being looked upon by Remus. "I can talk to her if you want, you know?

Remus gaped at her. He wanted to tell her that she was wrong but if he wanted them to be friends, he would be honest. "Maybe some other time. At least let me talk to her first."

Celeste nodded. "Sure. But just saying...." She raised her hands in the air.

As the period came to an end, Celeste walked out alone as Remus lingered back to talk to the Professor about the potion that was resting in the cauldron. Being a star student himself, she let him talk to the Professor. At least he was trying to anyway.

But as she turned the corridor, she saw Sirius Black leaning against a wall with his arms crossed across his chest, his long-sleeved sweater folded till his arm as if to show off. "Well well," started Sirius, bouncing off the wall. "Look what-"

Celeste had no time to let him flirt with her. She walked past him, rolling her eyes as she did so. She would certainly not let Sirius Black ruin her final three years at Hogwarts.

Sirius smiled to himself as he watched the dark-haired beauty walk down the corridor. He held the back of his neck as Remus walked out. "All okay?" He asked, seeing Sirius flustered, which was something that never happened.

"All good," replied Sirius.

It had to be, now that he had seen her again.

*****

Yes, this story is going to different from all the fanfics that you have read. Or if it is similar, I would not know because I have only read one Marauders story.
Do check out the playlist for this story on Spotify! It will make the reading journey all the more better