Chapter 1: The Badger and the Lions

September First - the date that every youngster that studied in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry looked forward to.

It was a chance at a fresh start because it was a new year. It was a chance at making new friendships and allies. There were new subjects to learn every year and always new opportunities that could come your way.

King's Cross Station was particularly crowded that morning as students rushed to get to Platform 9 ¾, eager to see their friends once again. And among them, were the four pranksters of Hogwarts and particularly, the house of Gryffindor - James Potter, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew, though the last one was mostly quiet and kept to himself.

"I cannot wait to see Lily again."

"You need to stop bothering her."

"I think you have a chance this year."

"I agree."

The subject of the talk, Lily Evans was already waiting at the said platform with her muggle parents, who were extremely proud of her. Her sister, not so much. "I hope you have a great year," Petunia spoke in false modesty.

"I'm going to miss you all," said Lily. She couldn't help herself by counting the number of luggage that she had with her. She didn't want to leave anything behind.

The senior students that were gathered there were always fascinated about how non-magic people did not notice that there were some people walking straight through the wall to enter the secret station that lay silently between the platforms of 9 and 10.

But alas, that was the power of magic.

A lot of social interactions were taking place as everyone shared the highlights of their vacation. The students were excited to see their friends again after staying in touch with them over letters, but that was also limited because owls weren't used for communication in the muggle world.

Marlene McKinnon was talking to her friends while her parents were talking with other adults at the secret station that lay silently between platforms 9 and 10 of the King's Cross. Lily was catching up a little with her before the train could take off.

Apart from these students, there was one particular Hufflepuff that stood silently in a dusty corner with her luggage. She was looking at everyone saying their byes to their family and a tinge of sadness entered her. She pulled the sleeve of her shirt till her fingers as instincts took over. A flash of light from her memory blinded her eyes and she closed them to tune out the rest of the world. She wasn't going to let it get to her. She had made a promise to important people about it, and she was going to keep it.

"Three more years," she convinced herself. Three years until school was over and she could do what she wanted. She was smack in the middle of schooling. "Until we can get out of this."

She looked at her guardians that were taking her luggage to her compartment as they asked her to mingle. "Get to know what your friends are up to." They had told her, and though she was trying her best to adjust to her new life, it wasn't enough.

But she knew that she didn't have to worry when a particular redhead made her way towards her. "Hey Celeste!"

"Hi Lily! How was your summer?"

Lily was the one of the only people that Celeste talked to. They weren't exactly best friends but they knew enough about the other. Lily knew a little if not a lot about Celeste from the common classes that they shared. Celeste was the most silent girl of the school, but that didn't stop the Gryffindor friends Lily and Marlene from trying to get her to have a good time and forget about what she was going through, even if it was for a short period of time.

"My summer was quite good, thank you. How was your summer? Did you get to read any new books after you sent me your list?"

Both of them bonded for the first time that they talked to each other over books. Both of them were muggleborns, which only made their acquaintance special. "Reading is all I did, Evans." Celeste smiled. "Did you manage to complete your pile of work?"

"I most certainly did. It was a tough task but I managed to complete it. I'm pretty sure that my arm is still numb from all the assignments that we got."

Celeste rolled her eyes and smirked. "Tell me about it! I was cooped up in my room for hours straight."

The train blew its whistle as it indicated the time for the students to leave for their next adventure. "I'll see you in the compartment then."

Celeste's guardians walked towards her. Maya and Shiv Rajput were simple people - or so the world thought. They had their own company to run in the muggle world, but they were much more than that.

Shiv handed Celeste a letter. "Please give it to the Headmaster, kanna."

"Of course." She nodded, managing a smile. It was something that had been happening for two years. Why would her Fifth Year be any different?

Celeste knew that her parents were worried for her time in school. She didn't know whether knowing that the Headmaster was involved was a good thing or not. No one knew much about the Rajputs and neither did Celeste, until she was handed to them by Professor Dumbledore.

But Celeste was grateful for them. She would never be able to pay them back for their graciousness. Maya opened her arms and Celeste walked into the hug, grateful for the choice of physical affection. "I'm going to miss you so much, Bells!"

"We both will." Shiv patted her shoulder. "I hope you have a great year, kanna. And please stay in touch. We will keep writing to you until you get fed up with us."

"Mostly to annoy you," said Maya, making Celeste laugh heartily. "But also to know that you are okay."

Celeste smirked. "I will be fine, you both. I always am."

"Make sure to ask for help if you need it, kiddo. Just know that we love you. No matter what."

Celeste was getting emotional. The scars of her life only reminded her of the pain that she was really in. "I am really grateful for your kindness and love. I know that you don't want me repeating this, but thank you for giving me a home."

Maya looked like she was going to pull her daughter into a bear hug. But the second whistle of the train clearly spoke that their time was up. "We love you, Celeste!" They said after she got onto the train.

Although she never said it out loud, this was the perfect time. "I love you too."

Seeing the train move away from the station, the children waved at their parents from their respective compartments. But Sirius Black was more interested about the new plans of the pranks that they could pull off that year. "You alright, Moony?"

Lupin looked up at his concerned friends. "Alright. Just a little tired." He pulled a chocolate from the pocket of his pants and opened it slowly. Chocolate would always help him with motion sickness. He would not go through that headache again, especially not after the full moon.

"We have mastered the trick, Moony." James clamped his friend on the shoulder. "We are in the Fifth year now. I'm sure that we will be able to keep you good company during the full moon."

"And that's what I'm worried about."

"Oh you," teased Sirius. "You don't need to worry about us. We are the Marauders. Nothing can happen to us."

The Fifth Year at Hogwarts was going to be one that no one was going to forget.

********
Greetings, fellow officers of the Third Army (the Ben Barnes fandom)!

You have managed to drag me into this fandom and now, I present you with the first chapter of this story now that I've started to make progress with writing.

I don't know when I can post regularly but I hope the first chapter keeps you interested. I've updated the cast as well, I'll be posting that soon