Angela

Why was she so angry all the time? She grumbled no matter the weather and stomped around no matter the time. Persephone especially hated me for some odd reason. Everybody loved me, she was the only one who denied my beauty and kindness. "I guess you can't have them all." I repeated this whenever she got to me. I've just decided to stay away from her, I'm convinced she is bad for my health.

          Persephone must be a weed in disguise because all she's ever done was take over our life. After dad died, mom adopted her as someone to fill the gaping hole. I don't know how she came to the conclusion a child would do that, though. Is it too late to return her? Or is that too cruel? Honestly, I don't care anymore, I just want my old life back, the one where dad would take me to the beach while mom would slowly trail behind with Bandit and a big basket of food. Those were the good days, I would sigh.

          Now that I think about it, why is she named Persephone? It's such a pretty name, why give it to her? It just didn't fit. I did some research a while back, and apparently, Persephone is the goddess of spring and the ruler of the underworld in Greek mythology. This name does and doesn't fit her at the same time. The underworld part matches up pretty well. She is nothing less than terrifying. The spring part though, not so much. Sometimes I would see her on the front porch, sitting on the slowly swaying rocking chair, staring at nothing but empty space. Every time she glares at me, I turn to stone. Maybe she should've been named Medusa instead.

*Beep Beep Beep*

          It was time for me to wake from my nap, though I wasn't sleeping in the first place.

"It is 5:01" I whispered to myself. I have enough time to finish my homework, eat dinner, and be in bed by 11.

          I wish I was still in elementary school. The homework was never this time consuming, but what can you do? Time just slipped through my fingers and now I'm a sophomore in high school. They say this year is the hardest, and I wished they were wrong. They weren't. Not only because of the work, but because of the drama. I have a good reputation with my looks and kind personality, but my sister on the other hand, has neither. I'm surprised she's lasted so long, everyone avoids her like the plague. It's hard having no friends. I would do more to help her, but that would mean kissing my perfect reputation goodbye. Who knows, maybe she likes being alone.

          I was just about the write the last few sentences to my essay when, for the millionth time this week, mom was yelling at Persey. It's not that big a deal, I thought, I'll just finish the paragraph before heading out. When I walked down the short hallway, the first thing I saw was Persephone staring at a bloody knife.

".................."

"Persephone, why are you holding that knife?"

"Ah! Angel, where did you come from?"

          Ok, Angie, let's think here. Mom either cut herself, or my sister killed her. It's most likely the latter, isn't it?

"Oh, um... I just heard mom yelling a bit ago. I came here to check out what happened..." Oh no, why did I say that?! I'm definitely next!

"Well, you're a tad too late if you came for that."

         This is it. This the day I die. Even though I'm taller than her, I feel like I've shrunk two feet and Persephone grew five. I need to run. She's washing the knife. She's getting rid of the evidence! She's SMILING!! Oh mom, I'm so sorry!

*Bump*

          I jumped out of my skin. I turned, only to see the wall. How could I be so dumb? I clutched my chest, catching my breath from that deathly scare.

"Maira cut herself while she was cutting the onions. She's in the bathroom." My sister looked at me like I was stupid for not knowing that. My brain may be overreactive, but I am not crazy. If anything, she is the crazy one!

"Whew!" I don't care. I'm not going to die. Not today at least. "There you go, calling mom by her first name again— you should wash that with soap." And now that I think about it... "Why do you do that anyways?" I inquired her about this matter.

"What? Calling mom by the name she was born with? Do you have a problem with it?" She glowered, as she was drying the knife. "Go do something useful for once and check on mom. She's taking too long."

          I can't believe this, how could she say something so untrue?! I help mom way more than she's ever had, not to mention I do all my homework and projects. I'm a good student and an even better daughter! I need to knock some sense into her if she really believes I'm useless.

"I do plenty of useful things! What do you ever do?" I fought back against her false claim.

"Just go already!" My sister slammed the cutting board, making me jump back from fright.

          I dashed to the bathroom to find mom, I'm done fighting a battle I can't win. There's no point in arguing when she gets like this. Maybe I give up too easily, but there's just no winning with her. Bandit was spooked too, he woke up from his nap and chased after me.

         Slowing to a halt, the bathroom door was in front of me, slightly open.

"Mom?" I mumbled as I slowly open the door. "Mom?!"

          The picture of my mom on the floor, blood still spilling from her fingers, was revealed. Rushing to my mom's side, I shook her rapidly, hoping she would wake up.

"Mom!" Tears leaked from my eyes. They slid down my cheeks and landed on her arm, which was outstretched. I kept shaking her, over and over again while screaming my lungs out.