Persephone

I don't remember much from my past life, before I was adopted. I know my mother had dazzling blue eyes, but that's about all I can pull from memory. Too bad I didn't inherit that shimmering blue though, I'm stuck with a boring muted gray. Both my adopted mom and sister have green eyes and honey blonde hair. I look nothing like them, with my black hair and dark features. I'm jealous, honestly. Every guy with eyes fell for Angela. And I hated every guy with eyes. We couldn't be more different.

          Mom was surprised when I brought up wanting to get karate lessons. I don't ask for much, so I basically guilt tripped her into paying for the classes.

"Come on mom, you know I never ask for anything. Can you just do this one thing for me?"

"Persephone, I don't think that's a good idea. Where would I even take you for those lessons and who would pick you up if the place is far? I have long hours at the clinic."

"I walk to school and back every day. I think I'll be fine." I rolled my eyes. "If you're too busy to find a place, I'll find one and pay for it myself."

"I didn't know you had so much money! Mind telling me where you're getting it from?" Mom laughed lightly before going back to cutting the onions.

"I'm gonna steal the money. Duh!" I crossed my arms and waited for her reaction.

          She's going to yell at me in 3... 2... 1!

"PERSEPHONE!! You will not steal from anyone! And stop giving me that attitude! Now, I really don't want to get you karate lessons!" Her voice practically blew back my hair. Bandit, our Border Collie, looked up at her with surprise.

"The lessons would teach me discipline, which is what you want, right? If you don't send me, then I will find a way."

"I'll think about it, but I never want you to talk to me like that again."

          She turned to look at me, and while she was looking away, mom cut her fingers. Wincing, she inspected the wound before running off to get the med kit. Turning my head back, I saw something laying on the cutting board. The knife... it's edge was filmed in a thin layer of blood. I reached for it's wooden handle.

".................."

"Persephone, why are you holding that knife?" Angela quietly uttered from around the corner.

"Ah! Angel, where did you come from?"

"Oh, um... I just heard mom yelling a bit ago. I came here to check out what happened..." she shuddered and trailed off, hiding behind the corner.

          Glaring at her, I spun around to wash the blade before mom came back. She was taking her sweet old time in that bathroom.

"Well, you're a tad too late if you came for that." The faucet was on, the blood quickly disappeared in the warm water. Her eyes widened with terror. She backed up and suddenly bumped into a wall in the hallway. She looked terrified, and trembling, she planted one hand on the beige colored wall and the other on her chest. I held back a laugh, what an idiot, she scared herself.

"Maira cut herself while she was cutting the onions. She's in the bathroom."

"Whew!" She looked relieved and let out a nervous chuckle, "There you go, calling mom by her first name again— you should wash that with soap." Furrowing her brows, she questioned, "Why do you do that anyways?"

"What? Calling mom by the name she was born with? Do you have a problem with it?" I scoffed impatiently. "Go do something useful for once and check on her. She's taking too long."

"I do plenty of useful things! What do you ever do?"

"Just go already!" Barking angrily while slamming the cutting board made Angela jump back in fear. She zoomed off, heading towards the bathroom. She's probably going to tell mom I was being "mean" again. Honestly, could someone be more pathetic?