i.

Madame

I pulled out a cigarette from the box in my pocket before putting it in between my lips. I sighed whenever I do this, I didn't know this would help me quit smoking—not bringing a lighter with me every single day. 

I was standing on the rooftop of a bookstore, adoring the night sky, city lights, and feeling the cold breeze against my face. 

This night is one of the thousand nights I longed for my biological father. I wonder how old he is, where he is now. and how he's been doing these days. Is he looking for me? 

I sighed before leaning against the railings. I turned to see who came in when the door opened. It's a guy just my age, I think. Aside from him wearing a mask, the light was limited so I couldn't see his face. He's also taller than me... much taller, and he's wearing a navy blue sweatshirt and a pair of pants. 

"Do you have a lighter?" he asked when he walked near the railings. 

"I don't," I answered straight because I don't really have one. 

He scoffed before pulling out a cigarette from the box he's holding. 

"Really, I don't have one," I rolled my eyes. 

"But it seems like you're smoking," he said, puckering his lips to point the cigarette that's now in between my fingers. 

"I didn't light it," I answered. "Can't you tell?" I rolled my eyes. 

He shrugged and I feel like he still doesn't believe me. 

"I don't bring a lighter with me, I'm planning to quit," I explained myself even if I know that I don't have to. 

"Hmm," he took off his mask. "That's smart.."

My eyes widened when I saw his face. Suddenly, the light from the rooftop was enough to see his face... actually, his eyes. 

Those were blue. His eyes pulled mine into the depths of his. It was... attractive. 

"Lucas..." I blurted out when I saw his face. 

I've seen him for the first time before... back in high school and here in college. I've never had any interaction with him or any of his cousins in my three years in the university. Though I see him in different musical and art competitions, seeing his eyes up close felt so surreal.  

"I'd try doing that," he said before keeping a box of cigarettes. 

"What?"

"I'll try not to bring a lighter with me," he said. 

"You're planning to quit?" I asked.