Chapter 2: Midnight

Start from the beginning

"What is your name?" The little girl asks, and the blond has to look at her just so he knows she is not baffling. Actually, that is not the main reason. What is his name? He can't tell, his head empty and blank. All he can recall is a phrase that is tattooed inside his mind. 'I will definitely save you, Yuuchan.'

"I- I'm not sure.." He trails, eyebrows stitching together in distress. The little girl frowns at him, almost sympathetically. "Don't think about it much, I am sure you will remember sooner or later." She tells him, patting his shoulder comfortingly. The blond hums, still thinking of the possibilities.

"It might be Yuuchan." The blond exclaims, but the little girl can see the hesitation in his oh so beautiful blue eyes. She purses her lips, index finger on her chin indicating the blond that the little girl is thinking. "Chances are, that is not your name. Try to think about it, does it sound like your name?" She tries, making the blond hums thoughtfully.

"You are right. I don't think it is my name. More like the name of someone I used to know." He agrees. Deciding not to be bothered about it for now, the blond gives his full attention to the little girl. "What is yours?" He questions quietly, lips curved into a gentle smile.

She enthusiastically beams at him for his show of interest. "You can call me Mei." She says, joy filling her heart when the blond smiles at him. She manages to make him her friend, which will make things easier later. "Well, Mei-chan. Why aren't you asleep yet? The moon is up high." The blond says, glancing outside Mei's window to see the dark sky decorated with sparkly stars and a moon that shines brightly. It is such a beautiful night.

"Oh you tell me, mister. How am I supposed to sleep if you are staring from behind my door?" She playfully questions, though the blond knows it is not entirely a joke. How is someone supposed to sleep without a care in the world if there are people staring? But wait, he stared?

The blond frowns. He is very sure that he was not staring. The first second he opens his eyes, and the next second he knows it, Mei is already calling out for him, telling him to come out from behind the door. However, the blond can't be sure. Not when he himself does not know how he is behind that door in the first place.

"How long have I been standing there?" He asks out of curiosity. Mei lightly giggles, and then tells him to come closer so she can whisper to him. "A very long time." She says when he does, lips forming a smile.

。*゚+。*゚+

"Mika. The sunset is beautiful... Isn't it?"

The blond audibly gasps, eyes opening wide. Immediately, light invades his vision. But that is not even his very least concern at the time. Butterflies inside his chest and smile visible on his lips, his eyes roam around to find the little girl he talked to last night. But to his surprise, he is alone in Mei's bedroom, standing beside her bed that is now neatly tucked.

Clueless, he blinks twice. She was there last night. And he is sure he never left, too. So when did she leave? The blond frowns, he is just about to feel excited. The second his lips form a tiny pout, the door swings open. He tilts his head to see who it is, and gladly, it is Mei. She looks rather gloomy, but when she sees him, the little girl lit up joyfully.

"Hey, you are here!" She beams, hopping towards him and grabbing his hands to hold them. The blond stares at her, suddenly feeling his cheeks warming. He is always cold for some reason, but this is quite...pleasant. Mei's hand is warm, and it feels like the most comforting thing ever. He tilts his head down to look at the little girl before smiling gently. She is so short, her head is only at his stomach level.

"Hello, Mei-chan." He chimes, one hand stroking her wavy brunette hair. She smiles sweetly at him, showing her perfectly lined white teeth. "Where were you?" The blond questions according to his thought. The little girl hums. "At the babysitter. But she quit." Mei verbalizes, frowning on her second line.