001. the donut incident

Start from the beginning

 "We can't just sue anyone we want!" Gray didn't need to see Tony's face to picture him rolling his eyes. "I need you to come and meet me outside, I'm right around the corner." There was a long pause, "we have a bit of a situation." 

 Gray sat up straighter, "what did you do?" 

"I didn't do anything!" The older man exclaimed in exasperation, "look outside." 

Gray rose from his seat, the chair making a loud screeching sound against the pristinely white tile as he did so. He bee-lined for the front door, the sounds from outside amplifying when he pushed the door open. His hair was blown around his face, wind hitting him like a brick wall as screaming and shouting met his ears. 

 It took him a moment to realize that it wasn't even wind that was disrupting the atomsphere. He took a few steps out into the middle of the street, shielding his eyes as he tried to figure out exactly what he was looking out. 

 It looked like... a donut. That was the only coherent thought he could form in his jumbled brain as he gazed out at some sort of ship descending to earth. It was large in side, and metallic; creating a gust of wind that burned Gray's eyes. A stray newspaper smacked him in the face, making him curse under his breath. He turned on his heel, walking right back into the cafe and seeing that the room had completely cleared out. 

 He calmly brought the phone back to his ear. "Well, shit." 

 "Yep," Tony sighed deeply, "suit up. I'll see you out there." 

The line cut out, and Gray pursed his lips, running a hand over his face. He was sincerely hoping that he would be granted one afternoon of doing nothing, but that plan flew out of the window faster than he could think it. A piece of debris hit the window of the shop, shattering it with a loud sound that jolted Gray back to reality. 

 He rushed over to grab his backpack, all of the sounds from outside spinning around his head and making an ache bloom behind his eyes. He shoved his phone into his backpack, zipping it up and leaving it on the stairs as he ran through a door, finding himself in the middle of a dark staircase. 

 He pulled his shirt off, and then his jeans, holding out his wrists to reveal two matching bands that Tony had masterfully crafted for him. Nano-tech was something that Gray knew he would never fully understand. The prospect was almost amusing to him - science so carefully manufactured that it could pass for magic. 

 He held the two bands together, feeling a familiar buzzing emitting from the accessory as it expanded, encasing his arms in a pitch-black material that was hard to the touch. He waited for the buzzing to recede, leaving him standing there in an intricate suit that was so common to the boy it felt like a second skin. 

 It was tight, but incredibly mobile; with a mask that covered his eyes and a good deal of his features. Tony thought that an all-black suit was fitting, considering the fact that the boy's alias was 'Specter'. 

 It was an inside joke between the two males. A specter was a ghost, sure, but when they wrote it down they changed the lettering. Spectre simply meant ghost, specter meant - to put it quite simply - an unwanted occurance. 

 Gray would like to think that he was a little bit of both. 

 He climbed out of a window too small for his body, and landed on the balls of his feet right in the midst of chaos. Debris was flying everywhere, intermingling with dust from damaged buildings and making it very hard to Gray to figure out what the fuck was happening. He held his hand out, his muscles tensing as he caught sight of a car about to crash into the sidewalk. He waved his hand to the side and the vehicle skidded to a halt, the people inside scrambling out to try and run to safety.