13: The Girl With Snakes For Hair

Start from the beginning

"She is quite strong," Lance said, amusement laced into his tone. "You say her father is a mage, what about her mother?"

I stayed as still as possible. Is it eves dropping if they're talking about you?

Philip didn't answer immediately, but when he did he didn't lie as I had expected him to. "She was adopted."

"An orphan?" I could practically see the surprise on Lance's face. "What an odd young woman..."

Someone came along and told Lance the witches wanted to see him. Lance was gone and that left Philip. The curtain slid past and the stool screeched against the floor.

"I know you're awake," Philip said.

I sat up and faced him, trying for a smile. But he didn't return the smile. I couldn't work out the emotions on his face. Confusion? No, perhaps tiredness.

"How are you?" I asked.

He smiled the tiniest bit. A storm brewing behind his eyes. "I should be asking you that."

"I thought you knew how I was?"

His smile fell away. "Look Mo," he said, looking anywhere but me. "Lets end this. You're not cut out to be a King's Guard."

My jaw lowered. I couldn't believe what I had just heard. "How could you say that?"

"You shouldn't push yourself too far."

"I don't care." And I meant it. "I'll push myself further and further, if it means I'll get even the slightest chance of returning my family. You don't have to believe in me but I won't quit."

"You could've died out there." He was indigent. "I promised Jara I'd help you. And I won't let you die in my care."

"If I die, you move on. You don't have to pretend to care. It'll be all my fault so you can clear your conscious of any ounce of guilt you might feel."

My words lingered in the air. Icy and still. At that moment, I saw no flaw in my reasoning.

He laughed bitterly and stood. "Your right. Pretend I said nothing." And then he was gone.

If I didn't feel like shit already then I felt like a worthless speck of dust, then. I was hit with a migraine worse than the first. I couldn't help but wonder if my skull had cracked open, or if my brain was a war zone where cannons were released, swords clashed and fists met the face of its owners' enemy. Complete and utter chaos.

I closed my eyes, mustered a little hope and wished the aches would go away. I discarded my thoughts in hopes that it would ease the pain. I'd rather my mind have been void and empty then incapable of reasoning.

Just before I could doze off a chilling sound reached my ears. Though that sound didn't seem to have come from far. It sounded like steam seeping out a kettle. But reminded me of danger. My eyes snapped open and connected with that of a serpent's.

Before I could let out a scream a hand clamped my mouth shut. I thought I was seeing double because another snake slithered up my arm; but that was not, the sensation of its scaly belly against my skin couldn't have been conjured by my throbbing head. Before I knew it a dozen more snakes rose into the air, their tongues flailing, the noise ringing so close to my ear—I feared my end was not too far.

And then I saw her. A girl. Her eyes hidden behind a piece of cloth, her hair was made of—or was simply snakes. Her lips parted into a grin. And the snakes seemed to gain more energy. Her hand that was over my mouth dropped. She dragged the wooden stool forward and took a seat ever so comfortably. I sat up hesitantly and carefully, keeping my eyes only on her.

"Are you a gorgon too?" She asked, rather excitedly. "It's been so long since I've met another gorgon!"

I swallowed. "A what?"

"A gorgon!" she repeated cheerfully. "Snake ladies, turn you to stone with one look."

"I..." I was too mesmerized by the movement of her hair to speak.

"Down here," she reminded.

I looked at where her eyes were supposed to be. "You're telling me you can turn me to stone."

She nodded. "I can but I won't."

"Then I'm not a gorgon," I said. "I've never turned anyone to stone."

"But I saw your eyes when you were on the hill, they were like snakes' eyes! And you have scales as well!"

"I've never heard of a snake that breathes fire," I muttered under my breath.

"But I guess you're not," she sighed. She stood and turned to leave.

"Wait!" I called out.

She turned, tilting her head. "Hmm?"

"Who are you?"

She smiled. "My name is Kombai, but most people call me KB. I guess you can call me that too. See ya!"

But I never saw her again, at least not for a while.

A/n: after reading pjo and researching Greek mythology like a total nerd I just had to add a gorgon. Coz bruh, they're awesome.