day 1: candy canes (original characters)

note from the author: it's december first!! to celebrate the holidays, i'll be posting a short story/drabble/one-shot every day this month! the full prompts list is on the first chapter, so you can check that out :)

❄❄❄

characters/ship: saina/laurel

where they're from: my characters

background info: laurel's dad owns a bookstore, saina + laurel both work there :)

❄❄❄

"Saina, darling, why does the entire shop smell like peppermint?"

I grin sheepishly from behind the counter. "No reason." Laurel raised their eyebrows skeptically, but I kept up my grin. The truth was, I'd hidden candy canes around the bookstore to see how long it would take Laurel to notice them. The smell, however, was unprecedented and not part of my original plan.

Oops.

Laurel must not care, because she just sighs and joins me behind the counter. "Guessing it hasn't been too busy today?"

"Actually, there was a woman who came in earlier today and was looking for our copy of A Christmas Carol, but I couldn't find it on the shelves, even though I know we haven't sold it. I told her we'd call her back once we found it."

I watch Laurel's face twist into a look of confusion as she strides over to the shelf where it should be. "What are you talking about, it's right here." She holds up the book, and I have to bite my lip as I stare at the candy cane carefully taped to the back cover. Don't worry, no books were harmed during the making of this prank.

"Oh, really? I hadn't noticed." Laurel's eyes narrow suspiciously, and I just blink innocently.

Laurel goes to put the book back but stops when the book won't fit back on the shelf. She goes to adjust it, then stops and takes off the candy cane.

"Love, any idea why there's a candy cane here?"

"Actually, yes, I do have an idea for why the candy cane is there. Now see if you can find the rest." I grin brightly, watching Laurel's face turn from annoyance to fond amusement. She just walks over to me, sets the candy cane on the counter, and leans their forehead against my shoulder, wrapping their arms around my waist.

"You're such an idiot."

I wrap my arms around her waist in return, tilting my head against theirs. "Maybe I am. But I'm your idiot."

❄❄❄

EXTRA: Meet the characters!

Laurel Byrne (she/they):

-lesbian + greysexual

-17

-one of her dads is irish, the other is swedish

Saina Florakis (they/them)

-lesbian + ace

-17

-their dad is greek, their mom is puerto rican

feel free to ask me questions about my ocs in the comments! i'd be happy to answer 😊

qotd: weirdest flavor of candy canes you've seen? or just weird candy flavors in general

aotd: not exactly weird, but i've seen oreo flavored candy canes. i've also seen hershey's chocolate-flavored twizzlers, candy corn-flavored red vines, and gingerbread kit kats.