Sold

Pete's POV:

It had been quite a while that I was in this room with Lek. There was no sound from outside except for the occasional opening and closing of the doors. I guess they were bringing the other people inside and locking them up like us.

I felt thirsty as well as hungry. The last time I had something, it was when I was at college and now, I don't even know how long it had been. Also, I am not sure when I will get to eat something. I never regretted living my life the way it was. I never complained about the things I couldn't have, rather, I always thanked god for having given me a better life. I have parents who loved me, had food to eat and a roof over my head. The necessities that some people don't even have. And after all this, I have finally landed into a place where I will be made to go through hell.

I have read about the things slaves did and how they were forced into doing them. Beating, starving, abusing, everything was a part of the torture that the slaves have to face if they rejected to do something. Eventually, they would adapt to saying yes to everything they were asked to do. I can't imagine my life like this. This is not how I can think myself living.

Lek seemed to have fallen asleep and I was the only one sitting, lost in my thoughts. Then, I heard footsteps outside and the door was slammed open. Lek jumped up in fear at the sudden sound. Two bulky man walked in and picked us up, carrying us out of the room like we were hangers. We were wriggling, kicking and trying to free ourselves but nothing helped.

Finally, we arrived at a place where I saw young boys of my age, standing in a queue with some bulky guys surrounding them. Surely, they too were the victim of this trade. We were being guarded like hawk and there was no chance to escape this place. The two bulky men dropped us with those boys and then stood behind us. I could hear the sound coming out from the room and I felt my feet go numb.

One by one, everyone is front of me disappeared inside the room and never returned back. I glanced at Lek whose face had no emotions at this moment. "If things go fine, I'll try to save you." He promised before he was too pushed into the room. It was only me who was left and each passing minute was giving me goosebumps.

And then, I was nudged from behind and knew that I am supposed to walk forward. I stepped into the room with a piercing light that almost blinded me. I could see the person on stage scrutinizing me and then the bulky man pushed me forward. There was a loud howling coming from the crowd as I stood on the raised platform.

I dared to look at the people around and a shiver ran down my spine as I saw the lecherous gleam in their eyes. One of them even licked his lips while looking at me and the sight was so disgusting that I wanted to spit on his face. I couldn't take in anymore and then moved to lower my head. That's when I saw an odd person among all. He was sitting on the far away table, wearing a black business suit and mask, with his black hair set perfectly. He wore black goggles that prevented anyone from seeing where his eyes were looking. For a moment I felt that his gaze is fixed on me but that should be my delusion.

Then I saw him lean towards the person sitting on the other side of the table. I don't know what they spoke but the person nodded and then gazed around trying to search something, for a split second his gaze landed on me before it went to wander around.

The person on the stage started the process and I could hear the voices coming from the crowd, more precisely, my 'price'. "He's a big catch. Boss is definitely going to benefit!" I heard someone speak from behind. "Yes.... That's why Boss asked to keep him last." Another voice spoke.

For the first time in my life, I felt disgusted. I was never really conscious about my appearance but now, I felt I should have been ugly, it would have at least saved me from all this.