CHAPTER TWO

"I'm gonna take a look, okay Mom?" Judy says looking at Maureen.

"Mmm-hmm." She groaned slightly.

"It's broken." Judy confirms.

"Well, that's too bad." She sighs.

Judy eyed Penny trying to work the device in her hands. "Hey, you took time to grab that. Who were you planning to call?"

Ali sighed at the constant rivalry between Judy and Penny. It had been most of their lives that they continuously competed for no particular reason. She knew Penny felt like the odd one out in the family.

"I grabbed a pack. I did what I was supposed to do."

"Hey, kids, it could be worse." Maureen cut in trying to diffuse the situation.

Ali looked at her mother confused but also agreed. It seemed that the planet they were on was fairly alright for the moment. They may be stranded but they had gravity and lots of water. For the most part, this planet resembled Earth quite well.

"How?"

Maureen didn't respond with words. She moved her hands to remove her helmet.

Ali gasped not wanting her Mom to hurt herself even more.

"Mom, no!"

"Hey, what are you doing? We haven't tested the atmosphere." John cut in, worry evident in his voice.

"You already did. Look." She pointed to the tear in his pants. "If the air was toxic, you'd be dead by now. You would be too."

Ali realised her Mom was talking to her. She looked down to see where her Mom was pointing. It was by her stomach. She must've torn it in the crash. She was so focused on helping her Mom she didn't even feel the cold air slowly seeping through.

"I'm surprised your not cold yet. It cut through two layers." Maureen eyed her carefully.

"I'm fine Mom." She tried to reassure her. "Your the one that has a broken leg."

Maureen was about to protest but remembered that her eldest was technically an adult. She had to try let go of her daughter at some point. "Not a bad consolation prize. First fresh air in months."

She was right, it was nice to finally breath in fresh air.

—————————————————————————

"Okay, let's figure out where we are."

"We evacuated the Resolute halfway between home and the colony-" Will started.

"Just call it Earth. It's not your home anymore." Maureen cut in sternly.

Ali looked at her Mom a little disappointed. Could she not have said it softer. It was a major adjustment and was probably the hardest on Will. She reached out and gave Will's hand a little squeeze to show him some support.

"Earth and the colony." Will continued giving his sister a small smile.

"This planet is unlike any we have ever mapped. Wherever we are, I...it's a Goldilocks planet." Maureen spoke factually. "Earth-like atmosphere, air-pressure, gravity. Clearly no lack of water. It's...the odds of that happening are...it's like winning the lottery."

"The way not dying in a car accident is like winning the lottery. Until you remember your were in a car accident." John stated looking at Maureen.

"We're lost."

"No kidding."

Ali could tell that her siblings were scared. They wouldn't show it, but she knew. She was the oldest after all.