The red DS

Have fun reading this!

TW: traumatized children? slight mention of child abuse? nothing explicit so far. please message me if i've forgotten anything!

Wilbur hadn't slept all night. A glanceat the clock on his 3DS revealed that if he closed his eyes and atleast tried to sleep, he would still have a good 3 hours. So it wouldbe absolutely pointless. He would only be more tired after waking upthan he already was.

Still, it was tempting. The quiet, calmbreathing of his room neighbor was contagious. How old was the boyagain? Six or so he would have to be. He'd been placed here at theshelter on a makeshift basis barely a week ago, after all thechildren's emergency homes were far too full right now.

Wilburhad been more than shocked when he saw the boy's condition. He wasnothing more than skin and bones, and even the much too large sweatercould not hide the numerous injuries.

He had no idea if theboy had been taken from a Foster, or his own family, but he feltsorry for him. He had never had a room neighbor he could reallystand. But they were usually his age and as fucked up as he was.

Hewould have liked to spend more time with the kid, help him makehimself a home here and maybe read him a story or two. But he wouldhave to leave today and leave the boy behind.

In 4 hours Samwould once again be standing in the doorway taking him to a newfamily. For 6 months he would stay there. He had already given uphope that they would keep him. Nobody wanted to keep him. He hadlearned that quickly in the last 4 years after his mother died.

Hehad been in the foster system for 4 whole years now - he was 14! Anironic smile crept onto his lips. Yes, a 14 year old orphan. Orrather a 14 year old problem child. The title had been added to hisfile about 2 years ago when he had given up. He would never forgetthe look on Sam's face when he had to pick him up from the policestation back then.

Ah yes, Sam. The usually cheerful, hopefulSam. Wilbur liked him, he really did. And if he hadn't seen theextremely hurt look in his eyes then, he probably wouldn't be ashamedof all the crap he did to this day. Not that he didn't continue tofuck up, but at least he felt guilty when he thought about the factthat he was causing sam to worry with it. Even if he probablywouldn't admit it out loud.

Sighing, he turned back to hispokemon game. He didn't want to think about how much he wasdisappointing Sam and how long he had until he would give him up.Just as he himself had already given up.

An hour beforeSam arrived, he put his 3DS aside. It was 7am and since his littleroom neighbor was still asleep, he made every effort to sneak intothe shower as quietly as possible and get ready.

When he cameback, the little one was finally awake too. Well, maybe half awake.He was sitting in his bed with a confused and scared look on his faceand had his blanket wrapped tightly around him, his eyes only halfopen.

He was so darn cute. Wilbur had always wanted a littlebrother, even though he would probably be a terrible role model, henoticed quite clearly how much better he behaved in the presence ofthe little one.

"Good morning!" he said softly,smiling cautiously. The boy's blue googly eyes, however, just staredback at him expressionlessly.

Wilbur began to pack up histhings. It wasn't much, but it was considerably more than others had.Some of it was stolen, he had to admit to himself shamefully, but alot of it was gifts from Sam. Sam always gave him something when theymet. He didn't deserve it.

As he tossed his 3DS into thetattered backpack as well, a thought occurred to him. He rummagedaround at the bottom of the backpack and collected the DS games hefound scattered there. Thoughtfully, he went through what of them hewas actually still playing. There weren't many games, 7 to be exact.Most of them were Pokemon.

Finally, he put 3 games aside.Pokemon White, Diamond and Animal Crossing. White and Diamond wereboth stolen games, he had stolen them from his last big Fosterbrother. Not because he really wanted them, he had the black editionand platinum, his two favorite games, but because the guy had justbeen an asshole.

Animal Crossing, on the other hand, had beena gift from Sam. His very first game along with the DS. He had lovedit, but-

His eyes drifted back to the little pile of misery inthe bed next to him. "Why are you packing?".

Hehadn't expected him to say anything. "Are you leaving? Can't youstay?". Apparently he wasn't the only one who had become clingythe last 5 days. Yet they had barely talked. Not as much as Wilburwould have liked.

"I have to go...I'm going to a newfamily for a while". He didn't say how long, he wouldn't staythere for the six months he was supposed to anyway. He never did.

The little one's reproachful look hurt. Very hurt.

"Don'tlook like that, I have something for you. I'm not leaving just likethat."

He had originally intended to leave just likethat. It made it easier. But he just couldn't bring himself to do it.Again he reached into his backpack until he found what he was lookingfor. He pulled out a red DS lite and the matching cable. Then hereached for the games. He hesitated for a moment, however, beforereaching for Animal crossing. >>For once in your life, don't bea selfish asshole!<<, it then flashed through his mind andfinally his fingers closed around the small card.

He turnedback to the boy, who was looking at him with wide eyes. Wilbur walkedover to him and just shoved the stuff into his lap. The boy flinched."For you," he brought out. If it was at all possible, thekid's eyes got a little bigger.

He fastly freed his arms fromthe blanket and grabbed the red game console, spinning it in hishands. Then he flipped it open with nervous fingers. Wilbur couldn'thelp but grin while watching the little fingers brush across theslightly scratched display.

"How does it work?".There was no mistaking the enthusiasm in the voice. Almost asenthusiastically, Wilbur sat down on the bed next to the boy andturned on the device, sliding the small Animal Crossing card into theDS.