Chapter 5

Seth POV:

Ecstatic bird songs pound the empty vastness of the sky with metallic clinking and beat color up into it at a far edge. The triumphant ardor stirs the sky into the warmth and quickens it in a spreading change to burst wildly. The horizon divides to let the heavy sun lifts itself bit by bit above the edge of things running free at last out into the open.

 The horizon divides to let the heavy sun lifts itself bit by bit above the edge of things running free at last out into the open

Watching all the things quietly, I stay on the tree and appreciate the view. It feels good as usual, but.. something is missing this time. Not something, someone! My fingers clutch the branch and dig my nails into it when the memories of last night flash into my mind. Even though I worked hard to search for my brother everywhere, he didn't get into my eyes. Why?

Thinking about it, I want to scream out loud until all the emotions leave my body. My insides feel like a boiling kettle overflowing that will burn anyone who dares to touch it. The tingle in my fists is rising rapidly and suggesting to beat Roman for leaving me alone. Fear and frustration grab my mind completely, and I become restless.

My head is heavy with so many questions that I can't take care of at a particular time. I hold my head in desperation and try to ease the pain, but I can't. Each cell in my body begs me to give them some rest. Considering their request, I yawn and look around for the best place to take a nap. If I take a good sleep, I'm sure I will feel fresh.

My eyes light up when I see the wood anemone spreading there like it's a blanket on the ground. How did I miss it? Fluttering my wings, I leave the tree and fly to the beautiful plants. The windflowers provide me with a safe feeling, so I spell magic and make my wings disappear before laying on it and taking a beauty sleep.

Sleeping at this time will never consider me lazy. Usually, the fairies' day routine is the same as humans in our world, but a slight difference will occur if we invade the natural land. Yeah... We have a different clock to protect our magic here because it's too risky to work during the day. We might get distracted by humans and lose a dose of our magic, so we have to work while they're asleep. It means there's no wrong with me sleeping now.

A few hours later, my blurry eyes blink slightly at the feeling of someone's hand on my shoulder. It's not familiar! My parted eyes glow slightly to figure out something, but nothing gets into my sight other than the precious woodland cover. Maybe it's all my imagination! Who would wander around the woods easily? Ignoring all the thoughts away, I try to drift off again, but this time, the touch gets firmer and shakes me wildly.

"What the-" The words catch in my throat when a pair of hazel-green eyes stare at me. I haven't planned a speech. I haven't even thought about what I will say. All I can stutter is 'um's and 'uh's and a couple of 'I's. My mind is completely blacked out on me when I find a couple of guys standing tall over me.

Not realizing my sudden horrific moment, the other guy grabs my wrist and helps me get on my feet. "This plant is poisonous!" He drags me out of the wood anemone and puts me in a better place, he assumes. His eyes then glance at his hand that is holding onto my wrist before pulling away. "I'm sorry."

I nod and rub my wrist gently, trying not to create any drama. My eyes travel to the wood anemone again and light up at seeing it. How could this beautiful plant become poisonous? Did the humans not know its nature? Maybe. It might be toxic to humans! But for us, it's an ideal sleeping place.

Turning to look away, I notice the green-eyed man is still staring at me with a strange look on his face. I glance down quickly and try to calm my nerves, bringing peace to me. We, the fairies, hate being looked in the eye. We believe humans can gain control over us by staring into our eyes, so we'll avoid eye contact at all costs.

The black-haired guy pats my shoulder and tries to get my attention back. "Do you feel itchy or something?" He then clears his throat and tries to soothe the situation when he reads the confusion on my face. "Hmm.. this plant may cause severe skin irritations. That's why I'm asking?"

"No!" I smile, feeling grateful for seeing a sweet guy in this place. It means there are good people also surviving here, along with the bad ones. I snap out of my thoughts when he holds his hand out in front of me and says something. Did I miss something that he'd told?

"My name is Drew." He says again, gesturing to his hand.

Blinking at him in confusion, I stand here with my mouth open until the air hits my face and brings me back to reality. "Seth." I take his hand and shake it gently. When our hands touch for a brief time, I can sense that he's really pure. Flinching slightly, I pull my hand away and glance at the other guy who's holding his phone and staring at it. I guess the sudden noise should come from that device.

Drew walks over to him and grabs the phone, glancing at it quietly. Their actions bear interest to me to know what's going on, but I don't take any steps for it. They glance at each other and try to talk about something but refuse it, anyway. They seem to be at a specific problem to take care of, so I guess they will leave and let me have my beauty sleep again.

Quite oppositely, this time, the other guy approaches me with a brief hesitation in his voice. "C-Come with us. We'll drop where you want. Usually, the woods are not safe for pretty and young people." He offers an amiable smile when my eyes look like they're going to bulge out of their sockets at his words. "I'm Edge, by the way."

I nod and wave it off, feeling thankful for finding another good guy in this place. Without realizing it, my legs follow them out of the woods, and hear their conversation the whole time. I'm not planning on traveling with them, but I have to mingle with the humans and know their characters if I want to wander around casually. I have no idea what the world is planning for me next. But whatever it is, I'm ready for everything. Walking in unintended ways will be curious sometimes.