Chapter 12

Before lunch, we went on a quick trip to the supermarket. I didn't change my sleeping clothes because they weren't smelly. I only did a "guy ponytail" to keep my hair off my face.
"I was thinking about steaks for lunch, what do you think?" Her skin gets goosebumps due to the supermarket's fridges.
"I'm fine with it." I grab an ice cream from the freezer. "Do you want me to grab something else?" She's distracted, looking at the different steaks.
"Not for now, unless you want to pick out the snacks." Her shy smile hides behind her long bangs.
"Do you like Cheetos?"
"I do! Bring some cookies as well." I nod and do my way to the snack's aisle.
I tried to pick out different stuff to try, including some asian snacks that were on sale. Autumn seemed excited to try them as well, so I'll take that as a win.
When we get on the line to the cashier, she turns up to me:
"Wait! We didn't get any drinks! Wait here." And with no answer from me, she walks away. I keep waiting in line with all the groceries on my arms and casually scrolling through my phone and then, I see Harry.
I tried to pretend I didn't see him, but he recognized me and walked in my direction. I always thought my guy disguise was perfect! I mean, my ponytail is pretty dope.
"Hey, Twyla!" He opens a big smile.
"Oh, hi, Harry! I didn't see you there." I try to smile as he does but I just can't.
"What are you doing here? Prepare yourself to get diabetes?" I look down to the groceries, and see almost everything is junk food.
"Oh, no!" I chuckle. "Me and Autumn are going to have a movie's afternoon."
"Oh, that's cool!" A second of silence. Why is Autumn taking so long?
"Why aren't you with your friends?" I ask with no interest at all.
"Bryan is on his part-time job. The other dudes went on vacation with their families. I'm the last one." He doesn't look sad, just lonely.
"Why don't you apply to a part-time job as well?" His face turns upset.
"I'm kinda lazy." He smiles once more, embarrassed of himself.
"You can always work at a beach bar. I heard they're looking for teenagers to bring up a youth vibe."
"That's actually not a bad idea! I think I'll apply to that one. Thank you, Twyla!"
"You're welcome!"
"I have to go, before my mom thinks I died on the way here. Tell Autumn I say hi!" He waves goodbye and I try to, the groceries on my hand don't make it any easier.
The talk about part-time jobs really got me thinking: what if I applied to one as well? I would have extra money and I could take Autumn to more special places.
I think I might do it.

🍑🍋

We finally got to the time where we went to the treehouse. We had to go up some spiral stairs to get there, which is new for me because I'm used to climbing ladders. The house had a tiny balcony with a set of two chairs and a little side table, and on top of the side table, a tiny succulent.
When we get through the tiny door, we have to push aside a curtain to reveal the cozy interior.
The treehouse it's not really small. There's a big sofa, some puff cushions, a tv, a DVD player, a yellow turntable on a little table with some discs and, in a round corner, a round bed with cute bed sheets.
We both sit on the sofa, while a calm modern jazz music is playing in the yellow turntable. We filled the floor with snacks and fizzy drinks and began choosing which movie to watch:
"What do you want to watch?" We started looking through all the DVDs she had.
"Did you rent all these DVDs on purpose?" I can't hold a smile.
"I bought some I wanted to watch, and others that I thought you would like." I grab some horror movie boxes and look at her.
"Conjuring? Really?" I laugh.
"What? Is it that bad?" She sounded worried so I placed my hand on her shoulder.
"It's not, but I'm sure it's not your type of movie." She made a cute mad face.
"You're saying I couldn't handle it?" She crosses her arms, visually mad. Still cute though.
"I'm not. Why don't we watch something like... this?" I grabbed the "E.T." movie box. She instantly smiles.
"It's one of my favorites since I was a kid."
We don't need to talk more, the movie starts and I'm snuggling with her, you know, like good friends do, eating junk food and with a blanket on our backs.
In the middle of the movie, I realised how dumb I was! I should've chosen a romance!
I take a sip of my Coca-Cola and I give her my cup. She takes a sip from the same cup as me, as casual as a hand-shake.
We went on a movie-marathon and when we found ourselves at the end of the fourth movie, she fell asleep in my arms.
I felt her breath on my neck, her head placed on my chest and her hands between my neck and my chest, holding nothing but my shirt. I started playing with her hair and smelled it. It still smelled perfectly. I touch her tiny pink hands and kiss it gently. Her skin is smooth and hot, as she sleeps.
When the credits start rolling, I shake her gently.
"Autumn, wake up." She rubs her eyes.
"Hum?" She can barely open her eyes.
"I need to go home. It's getting late." She stays on top of me.
"Just five more minutes." She closes her eyes once again and I kiss the top of her head.
"I should get going." I get up and she gets up with me. "We still have the whole vacation!" She smiles, still sleepy.
"Sure, we can do something this week. I'll bring the snack's leftovers."

🍑🍋

That night, I searched for all the vintage caffés in my area. I applied to all the part-time jobs available, sending my resume like my life depended on it.
It's almost one am, so I'm not expecting an immediate answer. That doesn't mean I won't stay anxious until I receive the long-waited email.