Chapter 6

I couldn't read anymore that night. I just slept thinking about how her heart was crushed. How a stupid guy made her feel.
I sat next to Autumn that afternoon, she still looked disturbed. The same amount of disturbed she was in yesterday.
"Hi, Autumn. Did you find your diary?" I need to keep my disguise, I still haven't read about me or the time she knew me. I need to do it tonight. Then, I'll give it back.
"No. I looked for it everywhere. And I mean everywhere!" I see a tear dripping from her face. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. Ten million times fuck.
"Hey, hey, please don't cry." I turn to her and she hugs me. I hug her back but it only makes me feel worse. She's so nervous I can feel her body shake. "You'll find it. You'll see." I stroke her hair and I hear her sobbing on my clothes.
"I hope so." She stops hugging me and I can see her cristal-clear tears rolling down her face. I clean one and I touch her face.
"So, how's Olive?" I change the subject to see if she cheers up. She cleans her tears and smiles.
"She's good. She's getting ready for her last games this year." A short break. "I might not catch the bus back home during the last days of school." Autumn explains. "I'm going to watch her games."
"Can I go with you?" A surprised look comes from her. She nods.
"Sure, if you want to." She shrugs. "I can get a little loud, though."
"I don't have problems with loud people." I smile. As long as I can distract her, it's a win for me.
Her stop. She grabs her champagne-colored backpack and when I thought she was just going to wave goodbye like she always does, she hugs me tightly.
"Thank you for making me feel better." She whispers near my ear.
"Always." I answer and I see her walk away, in direction to her house.

🍑🍋

I'm in front of the diary again. I don't know if I'm ready to read what she has to say about me.
I opened the diary on the last day she wrote: three days ago.
«June 8th
Today Ollie was sad. She has been wanting a puppy for quite some time now, but her parents won't let her have one because she's always busy with her volleyball practice and she won't have time to take care of it.
She has been through some tough times in her volleyball time due to her equipment. She thinks the clothes are too short and too tight and she doesn't like them. However, the other girls like the attention from the boys on them when they're playing, so she was pretty disappointed when she got a harsh "NO" from the girls that she considers friends.
Even though Ollie is sad with her life, I'm actually not. Twyla has been a good company these days. I'm glad she sat next to me the day Ollie was sick at home.» So that's what happened that day! That's why she was alone that morning and not the next and the next.
I also got to the conclusion that she has mentioned me before.
I got back to the day at the bookstore: May 31st.
«May 31st
Today I went shopping for books. I ended up just buying one since they didn't have the other ones I wanted in stock. I bought "Carry On" by Rainbow Rowell, which I've been wanting for quite some time! I started reading it today and I have a feeling this is a book from enemies-to-lovers. I've never read any book like this, except for fanfics. I'm excited to see them as a couple, if there isn't any plot twist!»
That's the sign that she didn't notice me at the bookstore. She thinks we met on the school bus. What a shame...
«June 1st
Today I made a new friend: her name is Twyla!
She sat next to me on the school bus in the morning, since Ollie was sick. I have no idea why she started talking to me. I can say it was a happy random coincidence.
She tried to peek at my diary when I was just finishing this sentence, so I guess I'll write more about her tomorrow.»
«June 2nd
Today Twyla didn't peek at my diary but she actually met Ollie! It was an awkward meeting but they shook hands, so I guess it is something!»
She kept writing about her life, until I get to the day I asked her on a date:
«June 5th
TWYLA ASKED ME ON A DATE!»
YES! She wrote it with big letters and everything! Was she actually excited?
«She said it was a date-date but it's more of a friends-date. She said she wanted to know me better, so I said yes!
I've never been on this kind of date since Bryan happened, the reason why I'm kinda nervous. I don't want anyone to fall in love with anyone! I just want to be friends with her. I don't want our friendship to be ruined like it happened with Bryan.»
Fuck you, Bryan. You just ruined her experience of friends-to-lovers, and now you're reducing my chances of making her fall in love with me!
«I don't know where we are going yet, Twyla said it was a surprise! Which makes it more exciting! I accept any place but a pizza place. I'm done with pizza places. They're too messy and too loud, not my thing.»
Noted.
«June 6th
Twyla took me to an Italian Ice Cream place!
We were having fun until some bad teenagers came in our direction (and no, they weren't a hot boyband) and got my clothes dirty for no reason. Twyla was about to fight them. Fortunately, she listened when I told her not to. She let me eat her ice cream during the walk back home, it was nice of her.
My mom got the stain out of my favorite skirt without ruining it, a big relief!
We agreed on a do-over date for tomorrow, which I am going to plan. I was thinking of making a tea party, like the ones me and Ollie used to do. We had such a great time (me and Ollie) so I hope Twyla enjoys it too.
I have an outfit planned already! I'm so glad I got that dress for a wedding, otherwise I wouldn't have any clothes that would fit the occasion.»
«June 7th
It took me over two hours to make sure everything was perfect! I bought lots of sweets, made tea and prepared the whole table with the cutlery I like and my favorite tea-party matching set.
After she left, I thought she didn't enjoy it. I started thinking: it's not her type of stuff. Autumn, what were you thinking?
And now I'm sad because I don't know if she actually enjoyed the time we spent together at the tea party.
I'm planning on taking her to my treehouse next time (if there's even a next time). We'll have plenty of privacy, in what comes to the neighbors watching us, and we could watch movies and eat some snacks.
I'll start cleaning it today so I can make the impression it is a cozy place for everyone. I'm going to stop by IKEA to get some new furniture, since my dad thinks it's a good opportunity to spend time with me.»
I remembered she told me she wanted to take me somewhere with more privacy. She was talking about her treehouse! It's indeed a good idea!
Did she end up cleaning it or is she too upset to do it?
And now there's nothing else left to read.
I'm so stupid! I stole her diary and I still don't know if she likes me or not, if she's also into girls or just into guys or if she likes someone else including Olive.
I need to return her diary.
And MAYBE.
Just maybe, tell her the truth.