Froslass: Part 1

It was the dead of winter in Johto. It was becoming more frigid with every passing day in Blackthorn City. But the cold could do nothing to the warmth in my heart. After all, in just a few days' time, I would be marrying my true love.

I had first met John when he stopped by our city on business. We'd had a whirlwind romance, but I'd known that he was the one from the first moment I'd laid eyes on him. He had proposed to me just a few days before he had to leave our town. He had been here for a month, and that was enough for us to know that our love was real.

Of course, I could never tell my parents about us – no, they would never give our marriage their blessing. They would be quite angry with me; I was sure of it. They were one couple in a very long line of arranged marriages, and they had one for me too, but after meeting John, I knew that there was no one else. My hope was that one day after they found out what we'd done, that they'd be able to forgive me.

Presently, I was standing in my room, getting ready to go meet John one last time before our wedding. We were to finalize our plans. I was buzzing with anticipation. I looked at myself in the mirror in my room. I had long hair that fell to the middle of my back, so blond it was almost white. I had light blue eyes and incredibly pale skin. I have no idea what it was that attracted John to me in the first place. After all, I was plain in terms of looks, while John was so handsome, and a few years older as well, with a well-established career. Nonetheless, I was overjoyed that he'd seen me and now wanted to spend the rest of his life with me.

I checked the time and saw that I needed to head out. I bounded downstairs. "Mother, I'm going out for a walk. I'll be back before dinner," I said, kissing her on the cheek.

"All right. And Rachel, dear, do take a coat. It's getting awfully chilly out there."

Heeding her advice, I grabbed a warm coat from the coat hanger and stepped out into the winter evening. It was gently snowing now. I left town from the south and walked along Route 45. There was a forest east of Route 45 that we planned to meet in. As I walked, snow crunched under my feet, and I shivered a little bit in spite of my coat.