An Old Friend

My head feels heavy and I'm beyond groggy when I wake up, not even realizing I had fallen asleep after my breakdown. I carefully sit up, a bit dizzy as my head works to regulate itself against the natural  melatonin in my system. I must have been in the middle of my REM sleep cycle. What in the world even woke me up? My mind suddenly kicks into overdrive at that thought, quickly grabbing the pistol I kept in my drawer and doing a quick sweep of the house. I freeze when I hear knocking, holding the gun as I ease to the door. I peak out the peep hole, my eyes widening as an excited grin comes to my lips.

"Y/N, come on, I know you're in there so just open the door already!" A familiar voice calls, a slightly irritated groan leaving his chest. "Jeez I'm freezing my balls off out here."

I can't help but laugh as I throw the door open and then jump into his arms. "EJ! You're finally here!"

"W-Woah!" He grunts, wrapping his thin but strong arms around me and taking a step back as he gives me a bear hug before chuckling softly as he sets me down. "Hey there kiddo. What always has you so excited to see me?"

"Hey! Who are you calling kiddo?! I'm older than you!" I complain as I step back to let him inside.

"Yet you launched yourself into my arms when you opened the door," He teases with a snicker. "I'm kidding. I'm kidding."

"Sure you are," I laugh, my eyes doing a quick scan outside before I close and lick my door.

"Oooh, tea!" He chirps, gladly grabbing my cup of now cold tea and taking a few gulps.

"Yuck," I mumbled, my nos scrunching in displeasure. "I hatt cold tea unless it's ice tea."

"You know how the hospital can be. When you're such a good surgeon you lose time a lot, so any hot drink you have usually winds up cold so you try not to complain," He chuckles.

"Still gross," I comment with a huff before getting a quick meal ready and sitting down with EJ.

I met EJ on the streets when I first came to this town. He had a complicated survey go wrong and all he could do after work was just walk. He had no real destination or directions so he just walked as a million thoughts went racing through his head on what he could have done differently to have made the surgery a success. I ran into him after a pretty bad scuffle on the streets hours before, bleeding , pale faced from the blood loss, and refusing to go to the emergency room so figured I'd just die when it was time. A normal person would scream and flip out or call the police, but he stayed calm and took me to his apartment where he patched me up. I was dizzy and lost too much blood to really follow the stranger danger rule and even ended up passing out during his examination. When I woke up my head was heavy and I didn't want to get up but I forced it after realizing I was in a soft bed and not on the street somewhere.

The sudden rustling of a book page causes me to jump out of my skin and snap my head to the side only to see an attractive black haired male with dark blue eyes sitting beside the bed and reading a text book. His smile was one of the most dazzling and comforting things I could have ever seen and he wasn't that much younger than me. Despite being younger than me his maturity was clear and his brain was freaking phenomenal! It worked so fast and calculated things even faster than a calculator at times! It was insane! We got to know each other and he decided he wanted to help me get established in the town. I don't know where the trust came from but I broke down and told him my entire story.

He didn't flinch, he didn't panic, he didn't do anything! He was very calm about all of it and he decided he wanted to help me establish a home here for a little while since I hadn't seen anyone for a year. Maybe I could settle down for a little while? I did have an ally now after all so if I just spent a couple years here it should be okay, right? I at least hoped it would be but I couldn't be completely sure myself to be honest. I mean, it has been two years but I was getting the itch that it was time to go. I wanted to push it though. At least until I could no longer see Sally.