Almost... sad?

"Well she would be," Chronos answered. "Brother, I do believe you have a spot of sick on your shoulder. If your girls need you, don't let me keep you from them."

And just like that, she was thrust into another scene. She never did get her answers. Visions of fire and death and destruction swarmed her sights. Scenes where immortals of all kinds chose sides and fought each other. Scenes from the end of the line.

Not for the first time, Evie shot awake breathing heavily. Her skin was slickened by a cold sweat, her heart beating frantically in her chest. She rubbed a hand across her face. Tears. Again. Since she was back into potioneering, maybe it was a good idea to make something for better sleep. Especially with the werewolf in the room next door. She was sure he could hear her heart racing. He'd be cursing her out for it unless he were fast asleep.

She hoped he was. He'd seen her crying twice. She didn't plan to wait for a third.

In bed, she laid awake, her stomach rumbling. She hadn't eaten since the morning. She'd left most of it out of spite.

Going hungry couldn't kill her—but she'd suffer more than most immortals. Especially since it'd been so long since she'd gone without.

Witches were too reliant on their powers. Evolution had told their bodies to get fucked.

She stared at the ceiling for a moment, contemplating whether or not to move. She could go downstairs and check the cupboards. But then she'd risk Lorcan kicking her ass and blaming her for everything wrong in the world. He'd probably accuse her of an attempted escape or something of the sort. She stared up at the ceiling for what felt like forever, only she knew there'd be no falling back to sleep on an empty stomach.

Sigh. Fifth world problems.

She walked slowly past his door, holding her breath. No sounds came from the other side. She took that as her cue to keep walking.

The thoughts hit her as she walked. Late night realisations, if you will.

She walked like this thirty years ago. Soundlessly. You had to walk silently through Castle Solum, especially back in those days. There were people leering in the shadows, waiting to cause you harm. Had she walked with sounds, she'd have given them the heads up that she was coming.

Thirty years ago, she'd walked the halls of a castle wondering if she'd ever really mean anything. She'd been powerful, but meaningless. Now she thought the same thing. She reviewed her thirty years. Try as she might, she'd achieved none of what she'd left for.

Had it all been pointless?

She was going to die. 330 something years and it'd never occurred to her that she might someday die.

It was more to take in than she'd imagined.

In the kitchen, there was nothing edible. She found a can of beans and took to heating them up. At the table, she lifted them with a spoon and allowed them to fall back onto the plate.

So this is how I'll meet my end. She'd always thought she'd die a famous death. The type that immortals would speak about for centuries to come. She'd be a story, passed down from generation to generation. An assassination, maybe. Instead, she had to wait. Her last days weren't spent on something glorious. No. She sat in a strange Alpha's kitchen at night eating beans. Go figure.

She heard his footsteps but didn't bother to turn. She'd wait for the lecture. The only thing that could make this better was a cup of tea. She'd have been able to throw it in his face when he started with his ridicule.