Chapter 32

She took deep breaths, trying to calm her racing heart. She braced the umbrella against the door and wobbled over to the bed on shaky feet and sat down.

" Don't you ever do that again. Do you understand me?", she looked up glaring at Brian as he and Nick walked into the room.

"Yeah, what is wrong with you man?", Shelly jumped onto the bed, throwing the pillow at him.

" Sorry, we didn't think you girls would freak out", he caught the pillow and threw it on the bed then sat down beside Lisa, wrapping his arm around her.

"You didn't think we'd freak out? How could we not with all the noise that was coming from downstairs? It sounded like someone was driving a tractor in the house and breaking everything", Shelly screamed.

" You're so melodramatic", Nick leaned against the bed post, rolling his eyes.

"I'm melodramatic? You guys scared the crap out of us so what do you expect? A big thank you wrapped in a red bow?", she sat up glaring daggers at him.

"We're sorry we scared you so much that you felt the need to defend yourself with a pillow. Happy now?", he said politely with a fake smile.

"No, I'm not happy! Why did you have to make it sound so stupid?", she yelled.

Lisa sighed wearily and leaned her head on Brian's shoulder. Normally she would find this very entertaining but she was way too tired and shaken up to find Shelly and Nick's bickering funny.

"Where are the kids?", Brian whispered in her ear. His hot, minty breath washed over her and a shiver ran down her spine.

"They're in the bathroom", her voice came out breathy and her face grew hot. She really hoped that he hadn't noticed her reaction to him but the way he chuckled and squeezed her hip gently told her that he had. Or was it the hiding spot that he found amusing?

"We should stop them before this gets out of hand. Shelly's got quite a temper", she whispered.

He shook his head, eyeing the two."No, it's better for them to just get it out".

Exhaling loudly, Lisa turned her attention back to them, filled with a sense of dread.

"Because it is. What were you going to do with a pillow? Stifle Jeffrey to death?", he sent an apologetic look towards Charlotte who was still standing by the door the turned back to Shelly. He crossed his arm across his chest and stared her down.

"What's wrong with that?", drawing her knees up against her chest she gave him a murderous look.

"He's twice your size. He can easily knock you out", he pointed out.

"What else was i supposed to use then? This is a child's room in case you haven't noticed. A girl's to be specific. What the hell was i supposed to used to use if not the pillow?", her face was bright red and her jaw was clenched in anger. He looked as if she explode at any given moment. Lisa silently prayed that she wouldn't.

"Melanie goes to school which means that she has pencils. Those would've been more effective than a damn pillow", he snapped.

Shelly pursed her lips, staring at him. She hadn't thought of that. None of them had but it wasn't like they were experts on this sort of thing. The most challenging thing she's had to deal with is her idiot of an ex.

"You know what, I'm not going to sit here and let you criticize me, okay? I admit that i hadn't thought about that but i did the best i could!".

"Oh my god, i jut can't do this right now", holding her head between her hands, Charlotte walked to the bathroom, opened the door and closed it behind her.