Chapter 24

I apologize in advance for any grammatical errors.

**__________________________________________**

Brian paced the living room anxiously. This was a bad idea. What if she decided to trash his house? He had spoken to his accountant and was told that he had enough money to live a full life without working, pay for Melanie to go to college and then some but he didn’t want to have to waste money to redecorate his house.

Or what if things got really loud and Lisa walked in? Would Nancy create a scene? Surely she’ll be happy, right? She seemed so into that other guy so she wouldn’t mind, right?

The door bell rang and he quickly crossed the distance and opened it, giving Nancy a small smile as he ushered her inside.

She smiled back at him brightly and took her jacket off. She was wearing a bright pink t-shirt. She almost looked normal. Almost.

Her hair was up in a messy bun and mascara was thick on her eyelashes and her eye shadow was three shades darker than her shirt. She kissed him on his cheek and moved to sit on the couch, throwing a jean clad leg over the arm.

“I was really happy when you called. You seemed a little distant lately”, she commented. She actually sounded like she cared.

“Yeah, I’ve got a lot of things on my mind’, he shrugged sitting across from her. He wanted some distance between them in case she decided to be violent but not enough space to offend her. He didn’t want to anger her this early in their conversation.

“I can tell. You have dark circles under your eyes. There’s a lotion for that you know”.

He gave her a look and she quickly defended herself.

“What? I just don’t want you walking around looking like a raccoon”, she shrugged, taking a pack of gum out of her jean pocket and offering him. He declined so she popped one in her mouth and started to chew rather noisily.

“Look Nancy I called you here to have an important discussion with you. You may or may not like it but whatever happens I hope we can both handle this situation like adults”, he gave her a meaningful look.

“Are we finally going to take that vacation you promised me?” she jumped up excitedly clapping her hands like a child.

He felt a little guilty when she asked that. He’d been promising to take her on a vacation for months now but he always found an excuse about why they couldn’t go. He just didn’t think it was wise for them to be in a hotel room together for a long period of time.

“No Nancy, it’s not that”.

“What is it then”, she sat back down looking deflated.

“I saw you with that guy at the Café the other day and it got me thinking”, she got a guilty look in her eyes when he said that.

“It was just one kiss. Nothing more, I promise”, her eyes were pleading with him.

“It’s fine. I kissed someone too”.

Her eyes widened. “You did?”

He nodded.

“Now as I was saying. When I saw you with that guy you looked so happy and carefree, it was like I was looking at a different person. You had this light in your eyes that I’d never seen before. It was never like that when you were with me. When I saw you with him I wanted to feel hurt, to feel angry but I didn’t because I’m attracted to someone else. I felt happy and a little guilty. I was happy that you have someone else so I can break up with you to be with her. That may be a little selfish but that’s how I feel and that’s what made me guilty. That and also the fact that I was using you all along. I just kept you around because Melanie like you and I thought you could teach her some things that her mother should have. I was using you and it was wrong. I’m truly sorry Nancy but I just can’t do it anymore”, he shook his head sadly.

A tear slid down her cheek and he could feel his heart breaking.

“Who is she?” she asked so quietly that if he wasn’t straining to hear he would never have heard her.

He swore a low litany below his breath.

“Nancy, I don’t think that’s a good ide-“.

She cut him off before he could finish. “No Brian. I want to hear”.

“Her name is Lisa. She’s Melanie’s Nanny”.

“What’s she like?”

“She’s sweet and caring and funny. It’s like I’m a different person when I’m with here. I can really be me without fear of being judged”.

She nodded in understanding.

“Do you like him?”

His question surprised her. “Who?”

“The guy from the café”.

“I think I do. He’s really sweet. His name is Dylan.”

“That’s good. You two look great together”, he smiled slightly.

They sat his silence for a while, both lost in their thoughts.

Brian’s head snapped up when he heard a sob. Nancy was crying.

“Where did I go wrong?”

“It’s not you. We’re just not compatible that’s all. It isn’t anything that you’ve done. You’re like this naïve little sister with an annoying voice that I never had”, he moved over to the couch where she was sitting and took her hands into his, “That’s why whenever we kissed it felt so wrong to me”.

“ It was the same for me too I suppose. It just hurts a bit. I had our lives all planned out and now I’ll have to rearrange all my plans for my Disney princess wedding.”, she sobbed.

“Disney princess wedding? Really, if you and I were going to get married we’d have a big pink wedding? It’s a good thing we’re not getting married then. That would’ve been a nightmare!”, he laughed pinching her cheeks.

She giggled, slapping his hand away.

“I’ll never see you again!”, she wailed suddenly.

“What? Why wouldn’t you see me again? You live three blocks down. Of course we’ll see each other. I’m not moving. Are you moving?”, he pulled her close and laid her head on his chest.

She shook her head sniffling.

“Good, then you can come over whenever you want and I’ll visit too. Maybe you and Lisa could go shopping sometime”, he suggested lightly.

“Do you think she would want to? I was really mean to her the few times that we’ve spoken”, she looked up at him with teary eyes.

“Lisa is really nice. I’m sure she’ll forgive you”, he told her confidently.

“I’m glad. She seems really nice”, she commented. She’d stopped crying and now she was just resting against him. He groaned as she leaned against his injured arm.

“I’m sorry”, she apologized with teary eyes.

He smiled at her gently before shifting her so she was still resting against him but away from his arm.

“Brian can I ask you something?” she had a serious look in her eyes.

“Go ahead”, he encouraged her.

“Will you be my big brother?” her eyes were pleading with him.

He burst out laughing at that. When he finally stopped and looked at her she looked offended.

“Of course I’ll be your big brother. I thought you were about to tell me someone died or something”, he chuckled.

“I love you in a brotherly way Brian”, she smiled up at him.

“I love you too Nancy”, he laughed.

There was a gasp behind then and both their heads swiveled around to find Lisa standing there with tears streaming down her face.

“Lisa it’s not what-”.

She turned around and ran up the stairs before he could finish his sentence.

Hey Sweethearts!!! I really hope you enjoyed this chapter.Thanks for all the votes!!

Nessa:D