Chapter 10: Siege Defense

Start from the beginning

"Though we may do this as we are to aid in your... Castle, you, the defenders, would help us in return by making as much distraction as possible. We would set up our equipment under the noses of your walls and what you and your people should do is to keep watch of them," The captain-commissar retorted.

"Have your torches unlit so that they will not pick up the movements we would make, then by my men's signal, have them up and keep watch as if nothing has happened like your men still kept on watching them. Based on our observation when we had arrived at the gate, a night raid would be viable after an unsuccessful attack, just like what they had done when we arrived," He pointed out.

"You... are actually them?"

"Yes, yes... Any more words flubbing out of that mouth of yours, I will turn that jaw into a stew and feed it to the dogs. You are lucky compared to the other Feudal Worlds out there. They do not even know what has the Imperium has to offer. Now do as I say, or I will have the protection we solely offered, null,"

Though Pina had agreed that this plan may seem too unusual, she had no choice but to follow his orders, knowing that their aid is what keeps them alive from the endless waves of marauders.

Some who left the planning room are against the idea of having their enemies from the gate protect them.

"My lady! Why should you follow their advice? They may help us, but what if the people they would do unless this is over? Have you thought of that? Why would you accept their offer while this savage barbarian talks down on you and call you native?"

"If we are to survive another day in this hell of a city, it would be better than to die without an ally in our aid," Pina said as the beads of her sweat fell under her forehead.

"You... your actions cannot be undone. The Empire will be enraged by your action,"

"Do you think we have any other choice? Go on and tell me! We are losing more people than I thought. We would be devoured up until the last man. Where would you get more people? When will they arrive? It's been five days!"

"In a span of two days,:

"Two days! When they arrive, we will all be picked up as food for the crows. This is the only choice we have,"

"You'd rather live as a traitor to the Empire than to die an honorable death?"

"Living is better than dying by the hands of my own men who left their master,"

---

The defenders of Italica had done what the officer of the Astra Militarum had planned. The torches are put out, and the castle becomes dark as the stars of the Special World have sunk under the lands of the night sky of the Special World.

The Captain-commissar marched across the cobblestone walls of the city, observing as the men in green set up the equipment such as a mounted autogun, two autocannons beside the siege ballista, and others.

Though it may be dark, the helmets of the Astra Militarum made from Terra's finest technologies consist of a night vision that can help the soldiers take in as much light as possible under the darkest depths of the universe.

After a few last-second check-ups, one of the soldiers signaled the rest with a thumbs up to sign that they were good to go. The chain reaction of other soldiers giving the same signal had the torches light up again, as the soldiers stayed down under the wall.

----

30 Minutes Later

Tiny fire glitters are seen from afar from the open fields as the darkness devours the sky.