chapter twelve

Mulai dari awal

"No, thank God." Haley says. Nathan kisses Megan on the head.

"Unbelievable." Nathan says.

"I know. I'll talk to her." Nathan says.

"Now?" Haley asks.

"No." Nathan answers.

"Okay, but she's acting really weird and she's strapped with a nine." Haley says.

"I get it, Hales, but the playoffs are next week and my mom's an adult. Both my parents are, supposedly." Nathan says.

"Well, where are you going then?" Haley asks.

"The river court." Nathan answers. He kisses Megan's head before putting her on the bed and standing up.

"Nathan, your knee's all-- your mom is totally freaking out!" Haley says.

"I'm the kid, Hales, and I'm sick of dealing with my parents' problems." Nathan says. "If it's not my dad with a restraining order, it's my mom with a Glock. They're unbelievable. My one saving grace, my one way out is that if I play halfway decent in these playoffs I can get a scholarship and get the hell away from both of these lunatics."

"Should my mom have a gun? No. But am I gonna let her stupidity or anything else stand in the way of my dreams? Not a chance." Nathan says. He kisses Haley on the forehead. "See ya."

"Bye." Haley whispers.

+++

They're at Deb's house with Karen, Dan, and a woman Megan doesn't recognize. Nathan and Haley are sitting on the couch and Megan is standing between Nathan's legs, playing with his fingers. Karen is stood behind the couch, Dan by the TV, and the woman by the side table. Megan is only there because Nathan and Haley didn't have enough time to drop her off at daycare or Olivia's prior to this.

Deb walks out in her pajamas, stopping at the sight of everybody.

"Who the hell are you?" Deb asks the woman.

"This is an intervention." The woman states and Deb scoffs.

"You have a problem, Deb, and we want you to go back to rehab." Karen states.

"Yeah, Deb." Dan says, walking into her line of view. "We're only here because we care."

"You invited Dan to my intervention?" Deb questions.

"Everyone important in your life must be here united against your addiction." the woman states.

"So you got four people, including my sociopath ex-husband and a 2 year old who doesn't even know what an addiction is. Oh, yeah. I have a problem, alright." Deb laughs. She opens a box before looking on the armchair.

"Mom, we searched the house and, um, I found your pills." Nathan says, holding up his backpack with his free hand. "it's over."

"No, Nathan. My life was over the day you left me and decided to marry her." Deb states.

"It's not their fault." Karen says.