chapter eight

Nathan opens the apartment door before walking in on crutches. Lucas is holding Megan and carrying Nathan's bags and stops at the door, tearing the eviction notice off the door.

"Welcome home." Nathan sarcastically says.

Nathan sits at the island, his crutches next to him. Lucas drops the bags and puts the notice on the counter.

"A bill. Bill. Final notice. Way final notice." Nathan goes through his mail. "You ever robbed a bank, Luke?"

"Hey, you got friends. We'll help." Lucas says. Megan reaches to Nathan so he puts her on his lap, keeping an arm secure around her so she doesn't fall.

"Yeah, that sounds great. All I need is money for these bills, and, uh, a $100,000 to pay the hospital." Nathan says.

"Wow. Would've been a lot cheaper if you just hit the brakes, huh?" Lucas asks. "What happened out there, Nathan?"

"You were there. Why don't you tell me?" Nathan asks.

"Look, did you... you know, feel like." Lucas sighs, trying to word this. "I mean, did you wanna--"

"Did I want to what?" Nathan asks.

"Kill yourself?" Lucas asks. "Cause if that's what happened you need to see somebody."

"I'll check out Dr. Phil this afternoon." Nathan says.

"How long are you gonna dodge talking to me about this?" Lucas asks loudly.

"How long are you gonna dodge you knew my mom was a pill head?" Nathan asks, almost just as loud. Megan whines at the angry tones. "Now, look. I screwed up. I hit the wall. That's all there was to it. Okay?"

+++

Megan is sat on top of the island and Lucas is sitting on one side.

"So that's why you're still staying at the house?" Nathan asks, getting a water bottle and a juice box out of the fridge. "Trying to figure out what he's doing?"

"I need all the access to him I can get." Lucas says. Nathan hops over to the opposite side of the island Lucas is on and sits down.

"Why didn't you tell me about this sooner?" Nathan asks, poking the straw through the juice box and giving it to Megan.

"I didn't know how you'd feel about me trying to take down Dan." Lucas says.

"It's fine by me." Nathan tells him.

"Listen, uh, about your mom... I did see her take some pills. Once... okay? I confronted her, and she told me to mind my own damn business. Sorry, I should've mentioned it." Lucas says.

"No, it's okay. My dad and I should've noticed it, anyways." Nathan says.

"Ah, well, don't worry about it, you know. She'll get through it. Deb's tough." Lucas says.

"She has to be. Look who she married." Nathan says.

"So we good?" Lucas asks and the two fist bump.