chapter seven

Nathan is woken up by Megan calling for him and her patting his face repeatedly. He lets out a small groan, opening his eyes to face his toddler.

"What's up, baby?" Nathan groggily mumbles, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"Foo." Megan states.

"Okay, baby." Nathan nods, sitting up. After managing to wake up enough to walk, Nathan stands up and picks Megan up, carrying her out to the kitchen. He stops at the end of the hallway, seeing Cooper Lee standing in the living room with a beer, staring at the clown picture on the wall.

Megan leans into her dad, not very familiar with the man in their living room. She only doesn't cry since she can tell her dad is relaxed.

"How much for the wall?" Cooper asks. "Come on, man, I'm serious. I'll take it. The whole thing. The pink paint, the creepy clown. Look, I'll give you, uh..." Cooper takes money out of his pocket, some falling onto the ground. "$500 and whatever fell on the floor."

"How you doing, Coop?" Nathan asks.

"Better than you, you little bitch." Cooper says, the two chuckling. "Or, sorry, witch. Guess I should watch my language now."

"Yeah, please." Nathan nods.

"Come here and give your uncle some love." Cooper says, the two guys hugging with Megan stuck in the middle before they pull away. "It's good to see you, kid. You too, younger kid." Cooper nudges Megan's arm. She just rests her head on Nathan's shoulder, digging her face into the crook of his neck.

"She'll be more of a people person after she has breakfast." Nathan chuckles slightly.

"Hey, man, I get it. Like me with beer." Cooper jokes.

Cooper pats Nathan on the shoulder, walking to the kitchen area. Nathan picks the money up off the floor and follows Cooper.

"So, your mom called me. And I got to tell you, Nate... if my big sister is calling me in, then the situation is pretty effed up, you know?" Cooper says. Nathan holds the money out to him. "Nah, keep it." He says and sees Nathan's face. "What, cause you don't need it more than I do?" Cooper asks, glancing at Megan. "By the way, I could beat your ass for looking like this, you handsome bastard."

"Great job watching your language." Nathan sarcastically says. He sets Megan on the counter and quickly fixes her a bowl of dry cereal and giving it to her.

"Yeah, right, sorry." Cooper half heartedly apologizes. Nathan gives Megan a sippy cup full of apple juice and he stays in front of her so she doesn't fall off the counter. "I mean, I'm starting to finally feel good about myself. I'm a racecar driver. I'm making a few bucks. And now I got to compete with this?" Cooper asks.

"Dude, stop it." Nathan says.

"I'm serious. What's wrong with her? What, did you marry a blind girl? Besides, don't chicks dig that whole good with kids thing?" Cooper asks, watching Nathan brush Megan's hair back from her face so it's not in her food. "Unless... oh, man. It's your gear, isn't it, huh? Okay, drop your shorts. Let's have a look."

"Cooper--"

"No, come on, let's see it."

"What are you doing here, man?"