chapter twelve

Megan is at the cafe while Haley is working. She's in a highchair behind the counter and has some food and a box of juice. Deb is at the counter when a customer walks up. Haley is by Megan, dealing with stuff.

"Excuse me?" The woman calls.

"Yeah?" Deb asks.

"No one's waited on our table in about 15 minutes. I ordered the Reuben, not the tuna salad." The woman informs.

"Oh, gosh, I'm sorry." Deb says as Haley takes the plate. "But, um, judging from the size of your ass maybe you should try the tuna salad and consider it a favor." Haley backtracks, looking at Deb with shock. The woman glares at Deb, walking to her table. "To go then?"

"Let's go. "The woman tells the people she's eating with. Deb takes a bite of the tuna salad.

"Too bad. The tuna salad's delicious." Deb says with her mouth full as the people walk out. "Come again, fat ass!" Deb takes the plate, walking back into the kitchen.

+++

Haley walks over to Deb who is at the counter, going through her purse, and she's next to Megan's highchair.

"Look, Deb, I don't know if--" Haley's cut off by something falling out of Deb's purse and a gun going off. Some people scream and everybody ducks. The bullet goes through one of the windows. Haley instantly goes to Megan's high chair, hiding her behind her body, cradling the girl's head to her chest.

Megan starts sobbing at the loud noise, not really even sure what it was. Haley pulls away, looking at Deb in shock.

"Oops." Deb mumbles, smiling a little. Haley gives her an incredulous look, taking the sobbing toddler out of her highchair and attempting to comfort her.

"It's okay, sweetie." Haley comfortingly whispers, stroking the girl's hair. "You're okay. We're okay, honey."

+++

Haley gets back to the apartment and is holding Megan. She walks to the bedroom, leaning against the doorway, looking at Nathan who is on the bed and putting shoes on.

"You think your mom's a spy?" Haley asks. "Or a pimp, maybe?"

"What?" Nathan asks, laughing.

"She's got a gun." Haley states making Nathan look at her. "Yeah. She's packing heat."

"What are you talking about?" Nathan asks.

"Your mom brought a gun into the cafe today." Haley states. Megan starts squirming in her grasp and Haley lets her down after she almost falls. Megan waddles to Nathan and puts her arms up and he picks her up, putting her on his lap.

"Oh, and it went off." Haley says.

"What? Was anybody hurt?" Nathan asks, looking down at Megan for any injuries.