chapter twenty one

Start from the beginning

Though Winnie was slightly embarrassed that he had in fact witnessed her outburst, she was content pretending it never even happened. Besides, with OWL's growing closer and Hermione following after her speaking about colour coded study guides, she was far too occupied to worry about Harry and Cordelia.

Which she was in fact not at all worried about. Even if she did notice that Harry seemed a little more calmer around the brunet, and even if she did find it incredibly odd how they were together that night in the first place. A fact that she knew nothing about, nor did she know when they originally started sneaking away together.

But Winnie wasn't worried, nor was she curious, thank you very much!

( Nor did she slightly ask Theo the day prior when in Herbology if Cordelia saw Harry recently. )

"Winnie!" The blonde glanced up from the snow she was walking in, her hazel eyes falling onto one of the very male who her cousin had taken an interest in since the start of the year.

"Harry," she greeted, coming to a stop as the boy came up beside her, his face bright red from the cold air that swirled around them. She reached up, tucking her scarf in under her chin so he could hear her more clearly. "Finally decided to stop avoiding me did you?" She teased softly, her shoulders sagging with a heavy emotion, reminiscent of too quick cream as she peered over at a wide eyed Harry Potter, who shuffled his feet against the snow. "Relax, Harry, I'm joking." She smiled, nudging him with her arm as she turned towards him, her back falling to rest against the stone of the side of the school. Desperately hoping her words would calm the anxiety storm happening in his chest.

"Oh, right," he mumbled, stifling an awkward laugh as her smile faded. She glanced down at her shoes, the tips covered in snowflakes that gusted up from the ground. "Er ... are you alright?" He questioned slowly, causing her to glance up at him and her frown deepened. That heavy feeling nudged deeper, making swirls of tension push upon her shoulders and she swallowed thickly, breathing heavily through her nose.

"I'm fine Harry," she sighed, fixing her scarf for something to do with her hands, suddenly missing not wearing gloves, as it restricted her from twisting her ring against her finger. She watched as his lips pulled into a line, his hand reaching up and running nervously through his hair, causing it to stand out at several ends. "Is that all you wanted?" She asked after he stood not saying anything more, she pretended not to feel the awkward wind twirl around them, as if he felt like he was pulled on two strings. The perfect peace of the morning dwindled away as frustration crawled back into her system.

"No, no," he paused again, pressing his lips into a thin line as the girl furrowed her eyebrows at him. "You know I'm your friend right?" He questioned suddenly, catching her off guard for a moment as she blinked.

"Why are you asking me this?" She questioned back, ignoring the way he rolled his eyes behind his glasses. "Look, you don't have to feel as if you're choosing sides or anything. I honestly don't care," Winnie admitted, crossing her arms across her chest as she kept her back leaned against the stone.

"What?" Harry questioned, eyebrows furrowed as Winnie breathed heavily through her nose.

"Me and Cordelia, I assume you're being weird because you witness," she paused, moving her hands in a circle. "Whatever that was the other night, and whatever you got going on with Cordelia, you're just feeling weird or whatever." Winnie shrugged, looking down at her shoes as she kicked up a gust of snow with her foot.

"Oh," she heard him mutter, though she didn't glance up at him. She snorted bitterly, chewing down on her bottom lip before she sighed.

"It's really fine Harry, you worry too much," she tried to tease him slightly, her lips tilting upwards as he rolled his eyes once more.