Take Care/ Beyonce

AU trope: You and your soulmate can send each other money. It's all completely anonymous, and there is no way to know who your soulmate is. Every time you send money, you are allowed to send a short message but not allowed to reveal your own identity.

______

You've been preparing for your 22nd birthday for so long that you were exhausted when the day came. After graduating college, you'd settled into a small but we'll paying company who worked non profit, providing resources to black youth in your city. You were paid well enough to be comfortable but by no means rich. It took you a year to save up for this birthday, and you'd only invited those closest to you.

You intentionally booked your flight to Italy as a night flight, allowing you to both adjust to the timezones of your destination and to allow time during your actual birthday to spend with your family and friends who were not coming with you. You'd arranged for a small lunch and then a spa day with your best friends before heading out alone that night.

When you woke up around 10:30, you were greeted by Happy Birthday texts from your family and co-workers. You smiled as you returned texts, preparing to get out of bed. You sat your phone down and stared at your ceiling for a few minutes, just taking a few deep breaths to appreciate it was your birthday. A smile lingered on your lips and just as you were prepared to sit up and go about your day, a somewhat familiar chime echoed in your head. You blinked and looked up, seeing a deposit into your account and a message hovering above your head for your eyes only.

New Deposit: $200
Happy birthday Y/N! Have dinner on me.- B

You smile a little at the message. You'd been in contact with your soulmate for a good majority of your life. She'd sent money since you were too young to really understand, but over the years you'd traded money back and forth enough to know that she was, in fact, a she and that her name started with the letter B. You'd exchanged basic info and you knew she was a little older than you but she'd never said how much. You assumed she did well for herself because she usually never sent less than $100 unless it was while you echanged money in order to communicate.

You'd established rules about that, especially when you were younger and broke. Whoever wanted to initiate conversation would send a bigger amount of money and you would trade messages back and forth until it was all used up. B insisted that the maximum be $50 as you entered high school and college, but after you'd started working she was much more lax about it. She was funny, smart and from what little you had gathered she was very very busy with work. She traveled a lot and you assumed she probably had some big wig corporate job that kept her on the move. Not what you imagined as a soulmate but you really didn't have complaints. You smiled and sent back a short message.

Funds sent: $1
Thank you B! I hope you're having an amazing day.

You got up and started your day, showering, dressing, and confirming with your family you would be leaving the house shortly. As you grabbed your keys, the chime went off again. You glanced up to see the message along with the newest amount of money.

New Deposit: $10,000
I hope you get everything you want for your birthday. 22 is a big year. Don't send it back or I'll send more next time. -B

You stare at the amount, blinking in confusion. That money would cover your spa day, lunch, flights and hotel plus you'd still have some spending money. Holy shit. How long had she been waiting to do that? You didn't even know what to say. The closest to that much money she'd sent was $2,000 when you first started College as a congratulations and you'd spent the better part of an hour sending it back and forth until very reluctantly you'd accepted the money after she sent back $2,500 in retaliation, afraid she'd send more.

Funds sent: $50
Are you like...rich or something? How did you just send me 10k like it was nothing?

New Deposit: $50
Something like that. I just want you to have a good trip. I know you said you were going overseas and I know it's expensive. I told you I could take care of you.

Funds sent: $50
And I told you I didn't need to be taken care of. Thank you, though. This means a lot to me.

New Deposit: $200
I know you don't need it. I want to. We ain't met yet but I still want to take care of you so you can explore and experience life like I've been able to.

Funds sent: $200
You are never going to let this go are you?

New Deposit: $500
Not as long as you're mine. I'm going to go to bed ok? Happy birthday beautiful. We'll talk soon.

You stare at the message for a few seconds. Mine? B and never been possessive or made claims to you before. It was new but it left your stomach fluttering. This was a stranger, but she'd been more attentive and sweet to you than anyone you'd ever dated. Not that you dated much, especially when your Soulmate had been in your life all your life. She was old enough to be a constant in your life since you were probably about 5-6. You suspect that she's at least 10 years older than you. You can't imagine having to wait 10 years for a soulmate, and then even longer for them to grow up.

B had been someone you heard from a few times a year on your birthday, and Christmas. She'd send a little money, ask a few questions and then you'd say your goodbyes. You can't imagine conversation with someone younger than 10 was interesting no matter how old you are. Then as you got to middle School she would ask more in depth questions about your life. All surface level. By high school she'd begun to be more at ease and even joked around. She felt like a friend then, and you found yourself wondering who she was. So your own questions began. When you hit college, she'd begun to call you beautiful and the money came in more often.

Your first real fight had been when she sent you money when you started College. Somehow it came out that she had a boyfriend, and they'd been together since you were young. For some reason this broke your heart and you stopped talking to her for a while. She knew she hurt you and she sent money with messages explaining herself and trying to justify it, but you never responded. It wasn't until she sent that big sum of money that you finally answered and that's when she offered to take care of you. The offers never went away, but you ignored them and you made a note to never ask about her relationship status again. Things were never as close as they once were, but you were still close as two strangers could be.

Little did you know, it wouldn't stay that way for long...