I

Charlie misses coffee.

Not just any coffee, obviously. Los Angeles has more than enough pretentious hipster places, perfect to Instagram so you can show your friends 'look, I'm willing to spend 17 dollars on watery shit.'

All of LA is like that- it's like the city was built for a gigantic reality TV program. The people are weirdly attractive, the homeless have designer bags and even the pets stick their nose up at you.

Maybe Charlie misses more about New York than just the coffee.

Today, however, his need for some authentic coffee is on the forefront. After mentioning to his class that he was in need of a good coffee spot to visit, one particular student heavily suggested the place he's walking to now.

Yeah, walking. Charlie could swear his legs have gotten more toned now that he's moved here. Traveling by car is just too much of a hassle with the bustling highways and annoyingly bright sports car owners trying to race him at red lights because they need to compensate their erectile dysfunction in some way.

....right, coffee.

It's not very hard to spot the coffee shop. Its large windows display an arrangement of pastries, past which he can see the cozy interior.

"Looks promising," he mumbles to himself before walking up to the door and opening it with a single, heavy push. A soft bells rings upon his entrance, making a few people's heads turn.

The weirdly attractive barista (the LA phenomenon even haunts genuine-feeling coffee shops, Charlie notes) smiles brightly at him as he walks up to the counter, his hands shoved deep into his pockets so he can nervously fiddle with the lint in them.

"Welcome to the Roasted Coven, what'd you like to order?"

It wasn't a slow day today. Quite busy, in fact, with almost every seat in front of you filled. Maybe putting those cinnamon rolls at the window was as good of an idea as Alec said it would be.

Who knows, maybe cinnamon rolls will be your new specialty.

Anything for money, you suppose.

The sound of the door's bell ringing makes you halt your wiping of the counter-top, and when you see the absolute giant walking in you quickly put on your brightest smile. His hands are shoved into the pockets of his ratty looking jacket that's way too warm for the weather, and he offers you a sheepish, lopsided smile.

"Welcome to the Roasted Coven, what'd you like to order?"

"I'm, uh, actually new in town so I'd appreciate a recommendation," he chuckles out, hands now out of his pockets so he can wring them together as he looks around. This place reminded him of home. The ratty, dark-red couch at the windows, the various succulents scattered around, the bookcase-lined walls- it made Charlie feel less out of place, for once.

He's... nice on the eyes. Not traditionally handsome, sure- he looks like his parents didn't allow him to have braces, with a face so uneven you're left wondering if he ever did amateur boxing in his spare time. Part of it is his wideness, too. He's built like a closet, with wide shoulders that would surely hit like a truck if bumped against you.

"I can tell, you reek of outsider. Better be careful with that, Angelino's are like piranhas."

He laughs at that. Thank god he finds you funny.

"Noted, I'll make sure to get a fake tan ASAP."

Charlie smiles while making the joke, and his smile widens when the cute barista laughs at his joke. He's still funny, thank god.

"And some Supreme slippers, obviously."

You can tell that he doesn't completely get that joke- like he's aware of Supreme, but you specifying the fact that they're slippers is throwing him off. You don't mind, though- he finds you funny, and that's enough for you.

"Anyways, yes, recommendation- I personally like Vienna coffee, with a cinnamon roll. Cinnamon rolls have been really fuckin' popular, lately. Must mean they're worth your while, right?"

Wow, the cute barista swears.

Charlie's starting to think that this'll be his go-to coffee spot from now on.

With a toothy grin he nods, not even paying attention to the price said. He simply pulls out his card and hands it to them with another smile.

He didn't mean for his hand to grace theirs, of course he didn't, but the electricity he got out of finally having physical contact with someone made him feel horrible. Was he really that touch-starved that a single, accidental swipe has the hairs on his arms standing up?

He pulls back his hand quicker than he would've liked to, but not quick enough to make it seem suspicious. At least, he thinks the barista doesn't notice how he's gone slightly rigid.

After the first physical contact he's had with someone other than his son in months, he awkwardly stands and waits as the cute barista fixes his order. He's not sure if he's supposed to be standing and waiting there like a living coat hanger, but he doesn't mind watching the barista work.

"Alriiiighty, one Vienna coffee and cinnamon for...?"

"Charlie."

You smile at him- at Charlie and scribble down his name on his cup.

"Thank you for spending your money here, Charlie, I'm (Y/n) and hopefully I'll see you again," they say before handing Charlie his coffee and roll.

After he walks out, munching on his cinnamon roll on his way to the UCLA building, he takes a look at his coffee cup.

He nearly chokes on the sweet treat when he sees that the cute barista- (Y/n), had written something other than his name on it.

'hi there Charlie,
welcome to LA !
       see u next time ;)'