Chapter 12: Heart in a Box

Start from the beginning

♤♤♤♤

Angela makes her way to the nurses station where some of the attendings were gathered. She hands her latest patients chart over to one of the nurses as Teddy smiles, "I can't believe you put a heart in a box and it's still beating."

She chuckles, "I know. It's amazing, isn't it?"

Derek shakes his head, looking at a bunch of files, "I don't understand the big deal. You do heart transplants all the time."

"Shepherd, this is a living, beating heart outside of a human body. She is doing what she does, outside of a body. I am amazing," Angela dances.

"Humble too," Callie laughs.

"Hey, let her be. She is amazing," Mark says, kissing Angela's cheek.

Angela smiles, looking back at her charts, "Look, this is the biggest thing I've done since I got here. Not the biggest thing in my career, but huge. Let me have my excitement."

Derek shrugs, raising his hands in surrender, "I'm not stopping you."

"No, but you're ruining my buzz."

The attendings snort at her as she pouts.

♤♤♤♤

Passing by one of the offices, Angela hears her boyfriends voice, "...a nerve graft for a paper?"

"I know. It's fifth year. You know? I can't slack off now, right?" Jackson excuses before Mark leaves.

Angela shakes her head as she leans against the door, "You're a fool."

Jackson jumps, "Wha- where did you come from?"

"Well, when a man-"

"Not what I meant. What do you mean I'm a fool?" He asks.

She takes a seat, setting a coffee in front of him, "This nerve graft surgery has been my pillow talk for a week. He was so excited to teach you and you're blowing him off. Why?"

Jackson thinks before sighing and sitting up, "Don't you worry? About him and Lexie."

"No."

"Why? I-I mean she threw a ball at a girl's boob because she was flirting with him," Jackson stands up, pacing.

"I wanted to do the same thing," Angela comments.

He points at her, "Yes, but you're his girlfriend. Lexie is his ex and is my girlfriend."

Angela points for him to sit down before she sighs, "I'm not worried because I know Mark wouldn't hurt me. If there comes a time where Mark and Lexie want to be together, he'd break up with me. Look, I got into my relationship knowing Marks history. Knowing about his and Little Grey's past and I knew that something could always happen. Right now, I'm happy. Right now, I'm getting what I need and want out of my relationship and if you aren't feeling the same way, if you're feeling this insecure and scared, maybe it's time for that relationship to end. But don't you dare avoid surgery or your mentor because of a girl."

Jackson glares at her slightly, "I'm not- I've got work to do."

"Yeah, sure you do. But if my pillow talk tonight is Mark talking about how you broke his heart. I'm gonna punch you."

"I feel like that's against hospital policy."

♤♤♤♤

A

ngela holds Mark's hand as he walks her out, "So, I'm gonna pick Sofia up from the sitter while you, Callie and Arizona work for a few more hours. Uh-"

Mark spots Jackson leaving, "Avery, wait up."

"Oh, right, Dr. Sloan-"

"You need to talk to me-"

"I am sorry about today-"

She almost gets whiplash from looking between them.

Mark shakes his head, "No, I'm sorry. It was my-"

Jackson interrupts him, "No, you don't have anything to be sorry about."

"No, I think I should apologize to you for-"

"No, it wasn't you. It was me. I have been..."

Angela holds her hands up, "One at a time, please. I have a headache. Mark, you first."

Mark nods, inhaling deeply, "I want to be your teacher."

"I want to be your student," Jackson nods.

"I have a cranial vault reconstruction tomorrow."

Jackson smiles, "I will be there."

Mark smiles back, "Good."

"Good."

"Great."

"I guess the Plastics Posse is back in action," Jackson chuckles a little.

Angela pinches the bridge of her nose as they try to high five but fail, "Kicking surgical ass and taking names."

She sighs, "Okay, I'm gonna go pick Sofia up. See you at your place later?"

Mark nods, kissing her, "Drive safe. Both of you."

Jackson and Angela start heading to their individual cars.

"I don't know why you think I should be worried about Lexie and Mark, I'm more worried that you will steal him away."

♤♤♤♤

AN: wow. I haven't updated anything in quite a while. I am so sorry.

I have seen comments in the past suggesting Jackson as her person and, as we all know I love Jackson Avery, that's probably the way we'll go.

QoC: should and Teddy have a fight/argument about her treatment of Cristina after Henry's surgery?

Thanks for all of the votes and reads and comments!!