Chapter 27: Verdict (Hyunjin and Monday POV)

Start from the beginning

"Am I allowed to speak with Jimin-ssi first?" I requested to Officer Jo. "We might have to change our plans if this interrogation gets too long...which I hope it won't since I did say I will co-operate with you both."

"Yes but-" Officer Jo seemed lenient. But I was not finished.

"I wish to speak to her in private if that is also ok?" I was firm with my decision. I had my reasons.

"Let her," Officer Kang sighed. "It might give her the right mental state since they rely on each other as friends."

Right, friends. Although I had this feeling Jimin and I were something more. These gut feelings of mine scare me.

Monday entered the room while the officers took their leave. Her face had an unreadable expression, and I felt sorry that I dragged her into another sticky situation...again.

"You need to explain yourself, Kim Hyunjin-ssi," she stared at me. "There is something about your past that you aren't telling me. What have you done?"

"It's not in your best interest, Jimin," I warned her. "Sometimes these truths hurt. And I only want it to hurt me."

For now.

"Says the one who accidentally sent me her hairband and led me to have traumatic memories of my past," Monday rolled her eyes while clutching it. Yes, I was instructed to remove it by the officers.

Monday's eyes stared that the evidence in front of us that seemed to point me as a link to the arson incident at Gyeonggi-do. She didn't understand why my (fake) ID was part of this list. However, I am certain my name is Kim Hyunjin. Just that the physical qualities of the ID were not real.

"I heard rumors about your involvement in that arson..." Monday admitted. "If they are true, then all this...?"

"Look, I still want to help you find Jin Jin," I brought her back to my main intention of speaking to her. "But you have to trust me with what I'm about to ask you to do."

You 바보! Just tell her about that memory. And the more I thought about that woman, she also sounded familiar...

...oh well. Might as well try my luck from another angle.

"Anyway," I came back to my senses, "these items on the table, why not you take pictures and show them to the NCI detectives helping you find Jin Jin."

"Huh?" she was confused.

"I have a feeling they are also looking for evidence. Missing evidence perhaps?" I guessed.

"How did you know...?" she remained perplexed.

"Because I might know who tampered with your case," I went on my own hunch.

~ ~ ~

(Monday POV)

(~ 5 days later~)

Because I might know who tampered with your case...

Firstly, how does Hyunjin unnie know Jin Jin's missing persons' file was tampered with? Did she really make a guess as she said? If so then she must be an oracle.

Secondly, what do her fake documents have to do with Jin Jin? Why would something linked to an arson case, which happened back when I was 11 years old, also help me find my long lost sister?