Chapter 21

****Normal POV****

I sat between Allison and Chris at the table as everyone gathered for dinner. Chris drew attention, standing up at the table and catching me off guard.

"I just wanted to thank everyone for coming today for dinner." He looked around the table, "I know it's been a bit of a rocky start, but I appreciate everyone accepting Nikki." He looked at her, "I know you sometimes still feel out of place here in Boston. I just want you to know how happy I am you're finally here." 

I watched him sit back next to me, kissing me on the cheek, leaving me slightly disappointed. I knew it was a mistake finding the ring, now I'm constantly expecting it. Allison seemed to hear what I was thinking as I felt her grab my hand. I looked at her, half smiling before going back to eating.

Shanna pointed to Allison and Nikki, "so how do you know each other?"

I shrugged, "Allison and I have been friends since we were kids. She was the reason I was in LA when I quite literally ran into Chris." I looked at him to see him smiling at me.

"Best night of my life."

I laughed, nudging his shoulder, "shut up."

Chris nodded, "we had lunch the next day and have been friends ever since."

Shanna continued, "and you're friends with Allison too?"

Chris shrugged, "well yeah. Being Nikki's best friend and an actress, we've ran into each other quite a bit over the years."

Shanna smiled, "oh. I'm surprised you guys never dated. She seemed more like the 'young Chris' type."

Chris shook his head, "Shanna. Come on."

Scott laughed, "maybe not dated, but..." he trailed off as Chris hit his hand on the table.

"Scott!" Allison and Chris spoke in unison.

I looked from Allison to Chris, neither of them looking at me. I looked at Scott, "Scott?"

Scott shook his head, looking at Chris, "I would have thought you would have told her by now!"

I placed my fork down, looking at Chris, "told me what Chris?" I looked at him, but he wouldn't look at me. I stood up from the table, looking at Allison, "Al?"

Alison groaned, "it was once, a long time time ago. We were drunk. I hardly even remember it."

"Oh my god!" I felt my heart sink to my stomach, "Chris?"

He stood up, reaching out for her, but she pulled away, "like she said. It only happened the once." He took a step towards her but she backed away, "Nik. It isn't that big a deal."

"Not that big a deal? Then why didn't you tell me?"

"We didn't want to hurt you Nikki." Allison turned to face her.

I shook my head, "it is a big deal!" I looked at Allison as I felt the tears starting to well, my face hot, "you took every guy I ever wanted growing up!" I turned to Chris, hitting him in the chest, "and you were the one guy, the one guy that chose me over her!" 

Lisa cleared her throat, looking around the table, "why don't we take dessert to my place." She looked at Angela and Allison, "you guys too. Let's give them some space."

I went to the bedroom, slamming the door. I started to pace when I heard the door open, seeing Allison. "Leave me alone."

"Nikki, I'm sorry. Please. We were both drunk and he was upset you turned him down. It was a mistake. Something we both regret." She reached for Nikki's hand, "I'm so sorry."

I shook my head, retrieving my hand, "can you just go please. Go."

Allison hesitated, but left the room, shutting the door behind her. She found Chris outside the room, "I'm really sorry Chris."

He shook his head, "I'll take care of her. Just go to my mom's. We'll come later."

Allison nodded, "sure."

I waited until I heard the front door shut, everyone leaving before I went out to the dining room. I started cleaning up the plates and food that was left.

Chris came into the dining room, "come on love. We can do that later."

"I'll do it now. Fuck off." I avoided eye contact as I took stuff into the kitchen, hearing him follow me, "just leave me alone Chris. Go to your mom's."

He groaned, shaking his head, "no." He grabbed her hand, making her stop to look at him, "no walking away mad Nik."

I looked up at him, "mad? You think I'm merely mad?" I pushed him hard in the chest, making him grunt and fall back against the counter, "mad doesn't begin to describe how I feel right now!"

"Nik...I.."

"No!" I took a few deep breaths, trying to control my breathing, "Why are you even with me Chris? What did you say to me that first night we met? 'Not my type. Insecure and seeking attention.' What you meant was, 'I'll sleep with anyone.' Anyone but me!"

"What? What are you talking about, anyone but you?" He placed his hands on her arms, "you're the one I'm in love with. You're the one here in Boston with me. I've never let any woman move in here with me." He let go, leaning back on the counter, "come on! Why are you so insecure?"

"Insecure?!" I stormed out of the kitchen, "you've given me no reason but to be insecure! First Amber and now Allison!"

Chris groaned, following her to the bedroom, "Nik. Come on. I love you. I was drunk, she was drunk. It was a mistake. And a long time ago!"

"Yeah! A long time ago!" I sat on the edge of the bed, "you had plenty of time to tell me! You both did!"

He knelt on the ground in front of her, making her look at him, "I know. We didn't want to hurt you. I love you Nik. So does Allison. I'm so sorry love."

I shook my head, "it was easier when we were just friends. Ever since we got together, it has been one thing after another Chris."

He placed his hands on either side of hers as he felt his eyes welling up, "what are you saying?"

"I don't know. I don't know that I can do this anymore Chris."