Backstory

Abhi and Pallavi grew up in the same neighbourhood until she moved away to a better locality due to her fathers promotion. Two years younger to Abhi, she has always been around Abhi and Purab since their childhood and studied in the same school as them. She was Purab's classmate too. 

However, they realised they are in love with each other only when she went abroad for her medical studies. Over the next six years they were in a long distance relationship, and Abhi even visited her a couple of times. 

She was supposed to come back on the night of a concert and he wanted to make it special - by proposing her for marriage... but she never came. That was seven years back.

Over the next few months he looked for her and her parents but couldn't find them. After a while he knew that all he could do was wait. Music was the only thing he could fall back on and he decided to continue with it and wait for her to come back.

Abhi agreed to get married under the relentless requests of his grandmother. The girl she had chosen for him was Pragya. 

Pragya was someone whom he had mixed emotions for - he hated the things she did around Aakash and thought she was trying to defame him for something he never did. He had seen her a few times and at times found her intrusive and irritating while at others, a caring individual - pretty much like who Pallavi was. 

He agreed to his Dadi's request... and surprisingly he found Alia happy with it. Surprised because Alia had so far been trying to push her best friend, Tanu,  into his life because, as she put it, "she was 'classy' and 'a super model wife for my rock-star brother' is perfect". 

When asked about the reason, she mentioned that Purab is in love with Pragya and it would be great if she gets out of his life, for since Pragya cant resist the opportunity to get married to "The Rock-star Abhi" she is sure to dump Purab. 

Unlike in the series, Abhi doesn't harbour any 'negative' thoughts and beliefs around Pragya, except a suspicion that she may have dumped Purab for him and his preoccupation with Pallavi, which he knows will not be good for the relationship. 

We get into the story where Abhi goes to the bar with three of his friends on the night of his wedding.