chapter 2 : winded

"Traveller !" Venti was just in time to stop aether's fall. Blood covered his top, and tears covered his face. He laid the hero of mondstad down just as jean rushed over
"No no no no..." Said the bard in a hushed tone. He looked at his hand, the gnosis he had taken from the severed foreharm of La Signora was shinning brightly in it... "NO !"
He screamed, plunging the source of his power inside Aether. Barbara arrived on the scene, and immediately knelt down, conjuring her healing magic as best as she could... Then, although even herself was... Doubtful at best she could heal such a wound, It closed up. And aether even seemed to breathe fine...

"How-" started barbara

"Get the infirmary ready. I want all healers we have on him. Now." Ordered Jean

"Of course." Answared one of the knight who had arrived on the scene before rushing away

"Venti, come with me this instant." She ordered

"I- oh god... What have i done..." He looked up at jean "can you give me a moment ?"

Jean stared at him, and said "Keep an eye on him for me..." Before rushing to the tavern

Venti walked with the knights has they carried Aether to the infirmary. The first effect of the gifting of a gnosis to a non archon were already showing. The traveller was sweating buckets. A fever. It was actually a good thing. At least he didn't just die.

As Aether was laid in a bed, venti blew a cool breeze on him. His body would adapt or it would succumb. There were no other options. Venti remembered when the gnosis formed within him. The weeks of pain and struggle... At least it didn't change him too much. Some gods at his time got... Well, less lucky. Oh god, what if that happened to the traveller ? Another reason to regret his rash decision. But on the other hand- this was probably his only chance to survive...

"You should move" called the voice of jean

"I'm not going to, but- but If  you have any questions, now is as good a time as any to ask."

"What did you put in him"

"Wow, straight to the point eh ?" He pondered lying... This was a heavy secret for sure..."What you saw is called a gnosis. It is the source of an archon's power."

"So you really are-"

"Barbatos. Well i was. I have lost so much power i'm not sure i can live up to my own name now"

"Is the traveller the new baratos then ?"

"He will become nothing more than what he wants to be. Barbatos is but a name."

"What is that thing doing to him then ?"

"Well... The gnosis is trying to find a place within him... And if there isn't any room left, the traveller will... Will inevitably die."

"I-" jean was at a loss for words "okay... What can we do to help ?"

"Nothing but wait and hope he doesn't die or kill us all i'm afraid."

"What ?"

"Since i'm telling you all this i might as well say it. The gnosis fusing with one's soul changes them, and it has happened that some of our kind either lost their minds or morphed into massive beasts... If he does reach the kind of sizes i've seen others attain, he could easily destroy most of mondstadt. As for the other option... Well i guess you can imagine what kind of carnage a mad god might bring upon this land. Especially with no one around to challenge his power."

"Okay, i'm moving him away this instant. I will have a zone cleared and guarded, and we will then build a home for him to rest at ease"

"No. The traveller must not be moved. When i said we must wait i ment that we literally shouldn't try anything. A single wrong move could disturb the gnosis and cause an explosion that would wipe everything out in such a radius that even deauclaire would be erased"

"The strength of an archon..."

"It's no joke, i know. Which is why someone trying to steal it is concerning..." After these words, jean frowned and left. With today and all those revelations... He Couldn't blame her.