Chapter 27 || Y/n's POV

Start from the beginning

"Yeah," I tried to laugh but it came out strained, "you took a little fall and knocked out your limiter."

Kusuo reached up to reassure himself I'd put it back on at least correctly. He let out a pained sigh and I noticed he looked in bad shape, obviously. His ghostly pale complexion had changed into something rather red and splotchy. His face felt hot to the touch, so I shook off my suspicions of the blame thing to examine his injuries. His skin is so smooth... even his sweat beads along his skin like an earthly dew. He doesn't even have to try to be this pretty. My fingers grazed his forehead, touching gingerly the cut along his hairline. I noticed the heat rise in his face. I was about to say something in concern when Kusuo winced.

"What's wrong," I scoffed, "the god got a little booboo?"

"Can you blame me, Y/n? You combusted like a star and sent me flying. Just stop touching my face." He groaned again as I touched a bump donning his eyebrow and swatted away my concerned hands.

"I'm sorry," I muttered, face paling as I replayed the traumatic events. My hands dropped to my side as I started to drift into thought. If I'd lost him... what would I do? We drifted into silence again before Kusuo spoke up again. He attempted to sit up but couldn't.

"I said it wasn't your fault, moron. These'll heal once I rest some. If my limiter wasn't removed I would be fine."

"Well, you're clearly not. How are we going to get home?" I looked around, observing nothing but lush wildlife as far as the eye could see. The magic of the atmosphere now felt threatening, taunting. All the life seemed to shush at the events I'd caused. A couple of trees were now turned into something like a stone statue, rocks in the river now into unnatural shaped bushes. I had ruined something natural. Something perfect. I, the freak of nature, always mess everything up.

"Hey," Kusuo cut in suddenly. "You did good, remember that?"

"Huh?" I asked, turning back to meet his surprisingly soft gaze.

"It wasn't right of me to push you like that. I knew you weren't ready." His tone was sincere, his voice gently guiding the words to me. Personal, touching. It had an undertone of words that couldn't be stated. It delivered a small invisible voice that I could only assume I got the message of.

Kusuo lifted his head. I helped him to sit up, still processing the little moments of intimacy and wondering if I was reading in too far. What happened? Within these few hours of training... why did I suddenly feel so different? I turned to see Kusuo gazing at the river. We sat together, feet dangling from the stone ledge we sat on. The sun was starting to set now. A warm light shone through the tree gaps. The rays of sunshine cast a peaceful lighting on the lush vegetation down below, setting an orangish glow about the sky. My anxiety dissolved into ease as I watched the bubbling stream reflect the forgiving sunlight.

Following his eyeline, I traced it to the splash of where the waterfall hit the river. Water bubbled from the clash, rushing along the river and eventually evening out into a peaceful flow. I watched the reflection from his eyes, wondering what he was seeing. What would it be like to understand him? Why did I want to know?

Once again, in his company, I became entranced. It was his powers at first, and now it was something more. My lips parted as if to let out something important, but an empty breath fled before I could comprehend my feelings. Tell him, I thought to myself. I needed to let him know. Asking questions was unnecessary, because deep down I knew. Maybe I was scared to admit it at first, but...

"Kusuo," I whispered. I love you.

He looked at me, but his expression alone cut me off. It was conflicted. His eyes glinted a sparkle of guilt and something. But just in that instant, he blinked and it was gone. His eyes were coated in an icy disinterest.

"We should head back. I need to rest, but I can teleport us back to school," he cut me off just as my voice croaked out an "I."

~

When Kusuo left, he left no room for conversation. I saw that something was bothering him from the blank expression he wore. I knew he was using his gifted poker face. He'd began to show more of his emotions until now. I pondered these thoughts, worrying that I'd done something wrong.

Though it was late, some kids were still finishing their after school activities. I knew I'd have to go to school tomorrow since I'd missed too many. I was sad- but relieved- because I didn't want to hurt Kusuo again but also was spared the chance of him not asking me anyway.

So many emotions were swirling inside of my head. I found it hard to steady myself as I walked along the breezeway, praying our relationship that had just spiked wasn't going to dramatically crash. My eyes bore holes in my school shoes as I walked, hair strands darkening my view. I was drowning in a sea of thoughts when I felt a sudden lifeline pull me up. It was a voice. One I'd never thought I'd hear again.

"Y/n...?"

I looked up reluctantly to be greeted with the unpleasant sight of Aiura Mikoto.

. . . . . . . .

A/n: thanks for reading!!! Thank you SO much for 1k votes <33 I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Next is a flash back! Here's ur chapter saiki pic

 Next is a flash back! Here's ur chapter saiki pic