Housekeeping

The Dassel family was sitting outside of a rundown hotel in the outskirts of Minneapolis, MN in their car. They needed a place to stay before continuing their journey to Madison Wisconsin the next day, and the hotel they already had a reservation at had unexpectadly had canceled their reservation. 

        "This place is gross," said Kayla, the fourteen year old daughter, looking out of the car up at the depressing old building. Vines grew up the walls and a few lightbulbs outside had burned out. One was flickering, threatning to die. 

        "Look, it's better than sleeping in the car," said Mr. Dassel, putting the car in park and opening the door. "Let's go."

        Josh, Kayla's twin brother, mumbled something under his breath as he piled out and slung his bag over his shoulder. By the looks of it, it was going to be a long night.

        Kayla and Josh followed Mr. and Mrs. Dassel into the hotel, muttering complaints about the hotel quietly to each other, just out of earshot from their parents. The moon was partway hidden behind the night clouds, and the wind was gentle, blowing dead leaves across the practically empty parking lot. 

        "Isn't it weird to anyone else that there's only three cars in this whole parking lot?" asked Josh uneasily, looking around. 

        "It means the hotel will be empty and you two don't need to worry about being too loud," answered Mrs. Dassel cheerfully, however there was a slight waver of uncertainty present in her voice.

        Upon opening the door, the Dassel family was greeted with a very nice surprise; the hotel had gotten an interior makeover. The lobby was small but modern looking, and the gross exterior of the building was quickly forgotten.

        "Hello, we'd like a room with two beds," said Mr. Dassel to the lady at the desk.

        "Certainly," smiled the lady. "There's a vacant room on the third floor with two king sized beds."

        "Sounds great," said Mr. Dassel. The lady gave him a form to fill out, and the family was soon checked in.                    

        "Here's your key, room number 301. I sent the maid up there to clean your room just a bit ago, and she should be finished shortly. Have a nice stay!" said the lady cheerfully, waving them off. The huge smile stayed locked on her face, with large unblinking eyes.

        The Dassels started on their way to their room, and found the elevator. As soon as the door shut, Kayla spoke.

        "I'm sorry, but did anything seem a little off about that lady to you guys, or is it just me?" 

        "She was slightly odd," answered Mrs. Dassel. "Perhaps she's just tired. It's almost midnight, anyways."

        Kayla shrugged. The elevator reached the third floor, and the family got out.

      They quickly found their room in the long hallway. Mr. Dassel unlocked the door to the room. It was clean and looked well kept. The maid wasn't there.

        "Looks like the maid did her job quickly," said Mrs. Dassel. "This place sure is efficient."

        The whole family was tired, so as soon as everything was settled, the lights went out and they settled down to sleep. The only sounds in the room were the soft breaths of the sleeping family and the wind raging outside the window. 

        After only twenty minutes of sleeping, the family was jolted awake by a sudden ringing of the room's phone.

        "Hello?" asked Mr. Dassel groggily, rubbing his eyes.