Eighty One - Shocking Encounters

Start from the beginning

                 “So how many fighters do you have that will sign contracts tomorrow?”

                 “There’s a summation of fifteen if you’re talking about the regulars.”

            Napapitlag ako ng tahimik sa upuan ko nang mag-angat ng tingin si Lhia na nagtataka ang tingin. “Fifteen? And you have thirty? Half of your talents are dallied?”

            Hunter shrugged and shot Lhia a knowing look. “You know business, little trouble. There’s some that makes it, there’s a lot who don’t.”

                 “But it’s a waste of time and fees.” Jhem this time na parehong nagtataka rin. “And according to the notes, at least twenty of your regulars are newbies. I’m sorry I don’t watch the ROF but how… how many of you guys have remained from the same spotlight and not been replaced by new talents?”

            I lowered my head upon hearing them. I was always the main guy before. But I guess time pass, I am not the only one now. Sabi nga nila may fallback ako kung magre-retire ako sa street fighting. But it has been my life, I can’t leave it. I’m even certain na kahit hindi na nila ako kailangan eh nasa ROF pa rin ako kahit walang ginagawa.

            I can’t pass the torch. Damn I can’t let go.

            Just like I wasn’t able to let Lhia go.

                 “It’s us, the ones who remained including CJ. She’s sick so we left her to the hotel.” Narinig kong sagot ni Hunter. “Some time in the near future we’ll be backing down and stepping aside to make way for the new potentials ROF has. I mean we had our time, it’ll be over soon. But we’re still here, aren’t we? And that will all be that matters today I think.”

            Nakita ko lang na malungkot na tumango si Jhem, must be sympathizing. “I’m sorry. It’s how the industry goes.”

                 “I know and we understand that.”

                 “Twenty contracts.” Biglang announce ni Jiagh na pumutol sa iba pang sasabihin ni Jhem. “The other ten talents that are left will be packaged along the contract that ROF signed with the board members. Give us names, they all have to be present tomorrow. The other ten will have their option whether to come or not since sabi n’yo naman hindi sila gano’ng ka-importanteng mga talent hindi ba?”

            Hookay. They surely means business and not just speaks business. Goodness, what on earth happened to the girls I know four years ago?

            Tumayo si Lhia at kinuha ang folder na nasa harapan niya. Ngumiti si Jhem sa gawi nina Hunter at Cody. “Contracts will be ready for you freshly baked at eleven sharp tomorrow morning. Cris will ammend your company contract too.”

                 “Thank you.”