Chapter 2- The Offer

I wake the next morning to a knock on my door. I groan and roll over, mumbling "Go away" into my pillow. The knock comes again, louder. Reluctantly, I get out of my warm bed and shove on my glasses. I walk through my tiny apartment to the front door which is still taking a beating. Opening the door, I find a grizzly looking man with his fist still raised and a black woman with incredibly white hair.
"Um, hi?" I say, squinting at the sunlight streaming in.
"Hello," the woman walks up to the door, "You might recognize us from the battle yesterday." I nod. She's right about that. I don't recognize their faces, I didn't pay much attention to them, but I definitely recognize their powers. She can control the weather, and he has claws in his hands.
"My name is Ororo Monroe. This is Logan." He grunts. "We would like to talk to you about what happened."
"Ok." How did they find me so fast? "Come on in." I step aside, and they walk in. "Make yourselves comfortable." I gesture to the couch and Ororo sits. Logan stands behind her with his arms crossed, a scowl on his face.
"You guys want anything to drink?" I walk into my kitchen.
"Thank you, but no." Ororo seems to do most of the talking.
"Well, you won't mind if I make myself something, will you?"
"Not at all."
Very polite. I like her. As I ready my tea, I search their minds for any traces of Magneto or Jean Gray. Whoa. This is some pretty intense stuff. I learn that Magneto and the guy they work for, Charles Xavier, use to be best friends. And that Jean Gray works at the Xavier Institute for Gifted Youngsters with them. As a doctor. She's class five. What is she doing working as a doctor? Logan also has a huge crush on her. I mentally mark him as number one on my who-will-want-revenge-if-this-goes-badly list. I turn around with my tea, all smiles, and sit on the chair across from Ororo.
"So," I begin, "what would you like to know?"
"Where did you learn to control your powers?" Logan butts in before Ororo can answer. She glares at him, but doesn't say anything.
"Well, I've always had some control over them," I lie, "But they took a lot of practice to master."
"And what exactly are your powers?" Ororo asks gently.
No harm in them knowing that. I hope. "Well there's my wings, which you saw yesterday. They meld with my back when I'm not using them. And I can also absorb mutant powers if I want, just by being near a mutant. Um, I see blueprints in my head and I can take things apart and put them back together however I want, with my mind. Like telekinetically. Oh, I can also mentally persuade animals to do what I want." At that moment, Cleo saunters in and curls up on my lap.
"When you absorb powers, do you take memories and skills as well?"
"Nope. Just the mutant ability. Why? Is there someone who does?"
"Yes, and she's had a very hard life."
"Honey, life is hard by definition. The question is, are we tough enough to handle it? She might not be."
Logan growls and advances slightly. I seem to have struck a nerve.
"How long can you keep the abilities?" Ororo presses on.
"As long as I want." I shrug. She seems thoroughly impressed.
"How old are you?"
"Legally, 21. Biologically, 26." They stare, confused. "I died once, officially, when I was seven. I had to get new papers and the only year they had close to my age was five years younger." I explain.
"Who gave you the new papers?"
"Some people in Europe."
"Do these people have names?" Logan interrupts.
"Yes, they do," I do my best to smile sweetly at him, "But considering you are total strangers, I'm not gonna tell you."
"That is understandable." Ororo places a hand on Logan's arm, trying to calm him down.
"Can I ask you a question now?" I cup my hands around my knee.
"Of course."
"Why haven't you asked me what my name is?"
They look like kids who just got caught stealing from the cookie jar.
"Also, how did you know where I lived?"
They search for words.
"I'm not necessarily mad or scared, I could take you both blindfolded. I just happen to be incredibly defensive of my privacy and I don't like that you found me so easily."
"I'll give you the basics, but I can't go into much detail." Ororo finally gives in. I gesture for her to continue. "We are part of a team of mutants known as the X-Men. We protect and defend the humans and fight for equal rights for mutants. Our leader is Charles Xavier, a telepath. He created a machine that can locate mutants when their powers are manifested. We use it to find children that need our help and bring them to the Xavier Institute for Gifted Youngsters where we teach them everything we can."
"Ok, cool. But there isn't much I could learn from you, at least by way of controlling my powers. So why did you look for me?"
She hesitates. "We would like you to consider joining the X-Men as an honorary member."
I chew on my lip. "I'll have to think about it. Is there a way for me to contact you?"
"Do you have paper and pen?" I grab the necessary items and she quickly scribbles down a number. "Call us here when you've made your decision."
"Will do. It was nice to meet you." I show them to the door and wave as they get on a Harley and drive off. Closing the door, I lean back, my mind swirling.
This is quite possibly the coolest opportunity that has come my way.
But what if I get attached to them?
Oh, you will.
That's a comforting thought.
Just get Jean Gray to believe you. Then you won't have to hurt anybody.
And what if I can't? I don't think I'd be able to destroy their trust like that.
...I got nothin'.
And what about Magneto? How am I supposed to get near him?
If the X-Men want you then the Brotherhood probably does too.
Nah, I couldn't join them. Besides, Jean poses more of a threat. I just hope I'm not under a time limit. Then I'd have to do things I would regret.
Sighing, I return to my room and collapse on the bed.