WHERE YOU BELONG pt2

Start from the beginning

"Yeah well when Mr Barnes takes his class back I'd like all of you to still be alive so don't take it to heart."

"Right," I nod.

"I should be going anyway," she tells me.

"Wait Natasha," I stop her. She sighs as she leans back against the door "Professor," she corrects "what do you need now?"

"No need to be like that I just wanted to know if you meant it, when you said I look good I've been unsure of this dress all night... it's too- I'm not sure it's just a lot," I sigh.

"Oh," she relaxes "if I were trying to impress someone I'd wear it, it's not too anything," she swallows.

"I'm not trying to impress anyone- are you saying my dress impresses you, Professor Romanoff?" I tease still unsure as to who or why she assumed I'd be dressed to impress.

She rolls her eyes dramatically "you know that's not what I'm saying."

"No, no of course not," I smile.

"Glad we're on the same page now please look after yourself it's cold."

I step forward, edging closer to her to reach for the door handle but she doesn't move out of the way, instead, she stays put, starting at me. Her eyes flicker between my eyes and my lips as she breathes heavily.

"Is everything okay?" I question, worried. She clears her throat "umhum, I'm gonna go I've got to get started. I'll see you Monday Miss Y/L/N." she leans off the door, briefly pushing past me as I open the door for her to leave.

"I'll see you Monday, Natasha," I whisper her name, but I know she's heard me. She clears her throat again and I know exactly why "sorry, professor," I correct.

I understand her reasoning for the formalities whether they exist or not the mere concept of there being formalities helps her to believe that they are in fact boundaries in place, boundaries we've already broken too much but nonetheless, professional boundaries.

One wrong longing look, the lingered touch of her hands and the softness of her voice, caring, worrying, wanting me to be safe is breaking those rules and boundaries but clearly, for Natasha, it's easier to pretend those moments don't exist.

I watch her leave before I call for an Uber.

--

Text messages:

Y/N: I'll be there in a few minutes

Tessa: okay no worries just come inside :)

--

Before I even make it to the door I can hear the music blaring and then screams and shouts of teenagers inside.

Walking through the door I'm immediately greeted with the white fog of smoke. Weed, vapes, cigarettes, you name it it's like lung cancer central in here.

No matter which way I turn I can't seem to find Tessa. Naturally, I find my way to the kitchen to grab a drink but once the bottles open I barely take a sip. I can't shake the feeling that there's somewhere else I should be right now, something better I should be doing.